Insulated vs uninsulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I am curious about how noticeable an increase in draft one could expect from changing from uninsulated to an insulated liner. All other factors being equal.

I am curious about how noticeable an increase in draft one could expect from changing from uninsulated to an insulated liner. All other factors being equal.
The increase in draft is not the biggest advantage of an insulated liner. The benifits are increased saftey, reduced creosote buildup, and code compliance. Yes if your flue is cooling considerably it will hurt your draft of course. But generally if you have a substantial dr as ft problem insulation alone wont fix it.

I always say insulate. A warmer pipe will draft better in any scenario.

I always say insulate. A warmer pipe will draft better in any scenario.
I totally agree always insulate but to me the increase in draft is one of the lesser benifits

I totally agree always insulate but to me the increase in draft is one of the lesser benifits

Yep, atmospheric pressure differential has a lot more to do with draft than insulation. Keeping the pipe hot is a good thing to keep it from collecting crap. Insulation plays in that game.

Reactions: bholler
Yep, atmospheric pressure differential has a lot more to do with draft than insulation. Keeping the pipe hot is a good thing to keep it from collecting crap. Insulation plays in that game.
Yep well said

Other than cost, is there a reason or circumstance that a person would opt for an uninsulated liner?Seems like a no brainer.

Other than cost, is there a reason or circumstance that a person would opt for an uninsulated liner?Seems like a no brainer.
Usually it is cost lack of knowledge or space inside the old liner that keeps people from insulating. The space issue can usually be dealt with by removing the old liners but again that adds cost.

Im looking for some rock wool or granular mineral insulation to insulate a new masonry chimney while its going up ,between the block and the flue liner. Iv heard menards carries it but there is none around here. Was wondering if regular fiberglass wall insulation would work but i think it melts at high temps.

Im looking for some rock wool or granular mineral insulation to insulate a new masonry chimney while its going up ,between the block and the flue liner. Iv heard menards carries it but there is none around here. Was wondering if regular fiberglass wall insulation would work but i think it melts at high temps.
Are you building with a clay liner to start?

Are you building with a clay liner to start?
Yes regular 16in chimney block with the clay liner inside. Would like to insulate between the block and the liner as there is 1 to 2 inches of space there.

Yes regular 16in chimney block with the clay liner inside. Would like to insulate between the block and the liner as there is 1 to 2 inches of space there.
Just put stainless in to start unless it is for coal