Insulating a Garn Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Jan 6, 2008
EUP of MI
I'm at the point where I need to insulate my "homebrewed" boiler. I would like to use a closed cell foam, but I have heard different installers say that 212 F may cause the foam to crack. My guess is that my system will mostly run at nothing higher then 190 F, but one needs to plan for worst case senarios which would be the water boiling in the tank, although 3000 gal of water boiling sounds like more fun then I care to have. Just wondering if anybody knows of a product that might work in this application. I may install the foam at the bottom of the tank and then use fiberglass from the midpoint up as the bottom of the tank would be a bit cooler unless it boiler for a long time. It would take a depth of 7 feet of water a long time to reach equilibrium at 212. I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts on this.

My thoughts is to be careful and spec out the right foam. Don't half aszed it! Which I don't think you would. But my thoughts are if your outside jacket temp is "whatever" once insulated, it will be damn hot. And melt most stuff that'll go up to 200+. My .02

Have you considered one layer of polyisocyanurate sheet with spray foam over it. Of course you'd have to cut the sheets down width wise to make the circular od of the Garn but it is a large diameter.

Heaterman - Did I read somewhere where you are working on a type of insulation system for insulating the Garn?

Thanks all for your comments.

EUP of MI said:
Heaterman - Did I read somewhere where you are working on a type of insulation system for insulating the Garn?

Yes you did. I should have more details available this week along with preliminary pricing and availability. I have a unit at the fabrication facility right now being measured up. The kit will consist of a rigid fiberglass front and rear section with a heavy rock wool blanket for the sides. So far we are assuming foil faced, non flammable construction which will be cut out with a computer controlled water jet machine. The insulation used is made specifically for high temp applications that far exceed any temps you'll ever encounter on a Garn. I'm debating the merits of sealing the seams with velcro or a pressure sensitive strip. The velcro advantage is that you could take the jacket off if you ever wanted or needed without destroying any of the insulation. Give me you thoughts on that. keeping in mind that the velcro will add about $60 to the kit price.

I think it will be pretty slick. It's not your normal fiberglass insulation and it's not being fabbed by a small time operation.

heaterman said:
EUP of MI said:

Yes you did. I should have more details available this week along with preliminary pricing and availability. I have a unit at the fabrication facility right now being measured up. The kit will consist of a rigid fiberglass front and rear section with a heavy rock wool blanket for the sides. So far we are assuming foil faced, non flammable construction which will be cut out with a computer controlled water jet machine. The insulation used is made specifically for high temp applications that far exceed any temps you'll ever encounter on a Garn. I'm debating the merits of sealing the seams with velcro or a pressure sensitive strip. The velcro advantage is that you could take the jacket off if you ever wanted or needed without destroying any of the insulation. Give me you thoughts on that. keeping in mind that the velcro will add about $60 to the kit price.

I think it will be pretty slick. It's not your normal fiberglass insulation and it's not being fabbed by a small time operation.

Heaterman

can this system be made for different sizes? I have a 7 ft diameter tank to insulate and it will go all the way around as I have my tank on a cradle.

Thanks

Allan

EUP of MI said:
heaterman said:
EUP of MI said:

Heaterman

can this system be made for different sizes? I have a 7 ft diameter tank to insulate and it will go all the way around as I have my tank on a cradle.

Thanks

The kit I'm having made is specifically made for a Garn. I can see if I could get the raw materials to you so you could cut it out yourself on the front and back. The sides are a heavy blanket type that should easily accommodate different lengths and diameter tanks. I'll be meeting with the production people within the next 10 days to finalize details and I'll quiz them about other applications such as yours. Look for a PM when I have something concrete to tell you.

Allan

Steve - with respect to the seam joining method, I would suggest you go with a pressure sensitive tape or similar bonding material. The velcro seems like an unnecessary option and expense, and not likely to ever be used. If you are pulling the insulation off your GARN for just about any reason, you have more issues than re-sealing your batts!

As I think about it, can you set up the sections to overlap to any degree? 3-6" of overlap would eliminate the need for any sealing tape, regardless of type.

Status
Not open for further replies.