Insulating damper area for and insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Getting ready for a new install to replace current insert. I have a ss liner to top of chimney with block off plate at the top of the liner/chimney. Damper and shelf area have been taken out to add the liner and give as straight an area for the liner as possible.

Have been reading here about stuffing insulation around the liner at the damper area. Does that make a difference?

Would love to hear pros and cons and personal experience on this one before my install.

Insulation will make a difference. Exterior chimney will make more of an impact than interior chimney. Colder climate will make more of a difference than a more temperate one.

Even here in E. Tenn when I did my install, I went all the way: exterior chimney, full stainless reline, insulation wrap on the liner, used extra insulation from the liner to put a layer on top of the back off plate which was sealed up with high temp refractory caulk.

I figure, if I'm going a mile, what's a few extra yards to make it as complete as can be?

What you need is a metal block off plate also at just below the old damper area. You can lay some kawool insulation oh top of the plate if you want. Seal the block off plate with hi temp RTV 500 or 600 degree silicone & around the liner with furnace cement.

BeGreen - Again, thanks for all of your replies to all of my questions!!! I had not read that article and haven't figured out how to access 99% of all that you have here. I have primarily been reading peoples topics and if I get referred to somewhere else, as you have done above, then I go there. Have not figured out how to get there myself yet. I did try typing the above address in but didn't get anywhere. I know next to nothing about computer use, as my teenage son will testify.

I printed up a copy of the article so I can show my installer and also printed up iceman's photos of his plate so I can use that as a model, for my installer as well as for the sheet metal shop I found who will cut one out for me.

Are mortar screws necessary to attach the flange to the bricks or is the furnace cement sufficient?

I'm assuming that the plate will keep a lot more heat in the fireplace area thus a lot more heat on the insert. ( My chimney is internal. ) Should I be concerned about having too much heat around the exterior of insert that is in the fireplace? (Not concerned about the cast iron surround that comes with it.)

derwood--I'm not sure how to do this quote thing.....here goes my try. Thanks for your input. I, too, am trying to do this as thoroughly as possible this time. Finding that as soon as I think I am ready to go there is something else I hadn't known about. First install 3 years ago I knew nothing and this time I want to it right!!!

derwood said:
Insulation will make a difference. Exterior chimney will make more of an impact than interior chimney. Colder climate will make more of a difference than a more temperate one.

Even here in E. Tenn when I did my install, I went all the way: exterior chimney, full stainless reline, insulation wrap on the liner, used extra insulation from the liner to put a layer on top of the back off plate which was sealed up with high temp refractory caulk.

I figure, if I'm going a mile, what's a few extra yards to make it as complete as can be?

Most likely you are getting typos when you tried to enter the link address. Just click on the underlined link in my post, it will open to the correct page.

Status
Not open for further replies.