Insulation around the liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boris

Oct 7, 2012
I'm installing a VC Merrimack into an existing fireplace with 25' chimney.
The fireplace / chimney is on the exterior wall of the house.
Do I need to wrap the 6" liner with insulation or not? 1/2" or 1/4".

I understand that keeping higher temperatures in the flue leads to better draft, but is there any downside?
Too much draft?

Thank you,

Boris.

The insulation is for safety as well. Most chimneys don't have the required clearance from combustibles. If there is any defect in the chimney it's a necessity. The insulation also keeps the flue gases warmer which can reduce creosote accumulation.

Be sure the chimney is completely cleaned (including the smokeshelf) before the liner is installed.

You'd be looking at the 1/2" insulation, and depending how you wrap it around the liner, could add 1" to 1.5" to the 6 1/4 OD of the Flex Liner.
Many of the Fireplace Flues are 10.5" x 10.5" or slightly larger