insulation in gas flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BobJones

Dec 18, 2023
US
Hi,
I have a question about something in the flu of a gas fireplace. This looks like insulation to me which would be bad, but it may be something else? This gas fireplace does not have s way to close the flu. Is this something else and if so is this a common practice for gas fire places that have a flu that doesn't close?

20231218_130126.jpg

Thanks for your reply. That is part of the issue. i don't know. there isn't a label with that info unless it was at the top of the instructions that is not readable anymore. but here is a photo if you recognize it. I tried an image serch but couldn't find an exact match.
20231218_165353.jpg
20231218_165453.jpg

There shouldn't be insulation in the flue. Someone may have put it there to stop the cold air from coming in when the fireplace is not in use.
You should remove it, or have someone who is experienced look at it.

Reactions: DAKSY