Insulation... Infiltration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I live in a house built in 1740, with some plaster and some drywall walls. There is very little, if any, insulation in the walls. Under the wood siding, there is only black paper(tarpaper?). It's not within my budget or my expertise to insulate the inside of the walls, and more of the problem(which is MAJOR) with heat loss seems to be through air infiltration than thermal radiation. I have heard that putting vinyl siding on the exterior of old houses completely ruins the structural integrity through condensation and a few other factors. Will removing the siding and putting foam board on the exterior, then replacing the siding help with air infiltration? I know the R value of foam board isn't the greatest, but I'm certain even low R is better than 0 R. While I am at this, I would seal around window and door openings as well.

Would this project be worth my while?

If it were me i would get an energy audit done. That way you will be able to see exactly where you need to add insulation. That should be your first step. Yes adding foam board will stop some of the air infiltration but not all, add in the time to remove the siding, install foam board, replace siding that is broken or rotted you looking at quite an investment. Call around to get prices for the audit, you will be further ahead.

Do energy audits use thermal imaging, etc? I'm just a bit skeptical that they will just tell me "your windows lose heat".

I agree about the energy audit. In some places they will give some items for free. This year I got 2 doorsweep installed and four of CFLs.

A few simple, inexpensive things that will help reduce air flow:

1) Put foam plate gaskets behind outlets and light switches. Hardware stores sell them. Giant difference for that spot;

2) Caulk holes that you can see daylight through in the basement foundation and around windows;

3) Plastic wrap windows or cut fiberglass covers held with wood molding & screws. Removable in spring. . . . or storm windows ontop of existing windows (more $ though);

4) Draft doger snake filled with SAND for better fit and/or towel for bottom on doors or a doorsweep installed properly. You could also wetherstrip around exterior doors.

Good luck.

Some outfits have thermal imaging. For massachusets, I was told that they will use it to make sure that walls were insulated properly AFTER they added insulation.

Not as good, but you could get an IR thermometer and point at different areas in house that are suspect. I got one from harbor frieght that reads up to ~1200 F for around 40 bucks. You could get one that doesn't read as high for less.

Vic99 said:
I agree about the energy audit. In some places they will give some items for free. This year I got 2 doorsweep installed and four of CFLs.

A few simple, inexpensive things that will help reduce air flow:

1) Put foam plate gaskets behind outlets and light switches. Hardware stores sell them. Giant difference for that spot;

2) Caulk holes that you can see daylight through in the basement foundation and around windows;

3) Plastic wrap windows or cut fiberglass covers held with wood molding & screws. Removable in spring. . . . or storm windows ontop of existing windows (more $ though);

4) Draft doger snake filled with SAND for better fit and/or towel for bottom on doors or a doorsweep installed properly. You could also wetherstrip around exterior doors.

Good luck.

Yup, these are the things I spent the late fall/early winter taking care of. Cold air outside and warm air inside helps a lot with "feeling" for where the drafts are coming in. This year, I think I will fabricate some removable window coverings, as the window shrink kits got expensive, and the cheap tape failed on many of them less than halfway through the season.

Whatever you decide to do ( buy anything) make shure its Energy Star rated. There may be a tax credit for it. Check with the audit company to see if they do the thermal camera first, if not call another one. There is no sense in putting insulation where there is some already( except if its not up to standards) the thermal camera will TELL you where you need more, therefore your not wasting your money.I deal with these guys everyday, alot have let me see the before and after pictures. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.