Insulation Protection question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor M

Jan 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Must you use a metal insulation protection device provided by the Big Corps to pass WETT cert. or can you make your own. The one that comes with the kit only about 20" high and I want it to be much higher. in fact I want it to reach the roof (36") (3-12 pitch) so that I can blow in as much insulation as possible. Can I cut the hole in the ceiling and build my own box out of OSB staying 4" away from the Class A pipe (7" pipe. 11-1/8 OD)

Thanks

Got a picture or two or a link to illustrate what this is?

12" across top. And the bottom is 13 across

17052532035816435548108864960743.jpg

Got it, looks like an attic insulation shield. It sounds like what you want to build is a chase surrounding the chimney. That should be ok, but the inspector needs to know the inside clearances are proper. Ask the inspector how to proceed. He may want you to just frame it so that he can check clearances before it is covered. Or he may be satisfied with good pictures that document construction and clearances.