Integrating Pellet Furnace to HVAC ducting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HemiMoparGuy1981

Jan 3, 2020
Michigan
Hey Guys,

I'm new here, found the forum by googling this question. I found and read an old thread from 2011 similar to what I was searching for. Learned a lot already. So now I am looking for the products to research. I read a lot about the Bixby UBB, it sounded perfect, I spent 30 min surfing the web to find they are no longer in business. So, I'm here asking...I am looking for pellet furnaces that are designed to be integrated, I have 2 young boys at home I don't want to add any risks to my family or myself from trying to cobble things together.

I notice a lot of the pellet stoves are aesthetically pleasing, I don't care one lick about that, I want a basic, ugly, industrial unit that will sit in the basement. A house that I am looking into buying has propane for heating, which I know is expensive. I am looking to supplement the existing furnace to lower propane consumption. My initial thoughts are to tap into the duct work being a 2 story house plus the basement...heating the downstairs would be fine with a stove on that level, all wide open. But in interest of saving floor space, and keeping the littles away from the heat source, plus it wouldn't likely do much to heat upstairs, I'm looking into the integrated setup. I was thinking that I would tap in real close to the propane furnace supply duct, and that I would run the existing furnace blower fan at all times to help crank the added heat from the pellet furnace through the house.

So, my biggest concern here is being pointed in the right direction of which stoves to look into, since my research led to ones that are no longer available; secondary concern is any advice about my expressed ideas, any advice to add, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You In Advance,

Eric

A pellet furnace designed to be ducted into an existing supply duct is ok. A freestanding pellet stove can not. That would be against mechanical code.

Reactions: HemiMoparGuy1981
A pellet furnace designed to be ducted into an existing supply duct is ok. A freestanding pellet stove can not. That would be against mechanical code.
Thank you for the reply. Do you know of any current models available, or at least manufacturers who offer such models that I can start surfing their websites for sales info?

That would be a question for the boiler and furnace forum here. There are several threads on the topic. Go there and search on pellet furnace. I will post a link for this search, hope it works.

I have Piazzetta P958M that I ducted with multifuoco splitter to my existing force air system. You can sometimes find used Harmans PF120 or PB105.

Since your in michigan you should have a few good local suppliers... my suggestion would be start visiting your local heating company and see what they can supply. This way if you have issues or need parts in the future you are not waiting weeks for parts.

Since your in michigan you should have a few good local suppliers... my suggestion would be start visiting your local heating company and see what they can supply. This way if you have issues or need parts in the future you are not waiting weeks for parts.

I've only found one dealer here in Western Michigan from PelletStoveFires(dot)com. I obviously know there must be more, but I wanted to learn some brand names that offer what I am looking for to google dealers from manufacturers websites.

A pellet furnace designed to be ducted into an existing supply duct is ok.
A freestanding pellet stove can not. That would be against mechanical code.
BackTTFuture copy.jpg

I would suggest a Piazzetta P963 cause the P95.... series have no auger capacity, 33pound only unless you are retired at home. The P95... have only one duck, the P963 have 2 3'' duck it can heat up to 2500 square feet. In michigan you can look for Northeast Distribution inc they carry Piazzetta product and many more, but for pellets I strongly recommend Piazzetta for there enormous capacity of adjustments. If your choice end on a Piazzetta product then keep my keep my e-mail I will be your guy for any question o how to use and how to adjust you stove. [email protected]

You need a pellet furnace, the best one right now is the Fahrenheit. They are made in the USA right up near Minnesota or whatever and have a website.