Interesting report on US energy efficiency....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
Check out some energy efficiency stats from NRDC:

http://www.nrdc.org/media/2013/131008.asp

I learned that the US used less oil in 2013 than in 1973, despite a nearly 3X larger inflation-corrected GDP.

They also describe wind power as contributing 3.5% of all US electricity (more than 50% of US hydro, IIRC) rather than the <1% of primary energy input (which IMO makes wind look artificially bad due to the massive FF losses in thermal plants)

The full .pdf report is linked at the bottom.

Of course, it can (and should) be argued that one reason we managed some improvement is b/c we were so wasteful before. There are still plenty of efficiency steps out there that will save money and lives, before we even start to argue about things that cost money.

Last edited:
While some good strides are happening with increased fuel efficiency in the transportation sector, I wonder how much of the reduced oil consumption has simply been replaced by increased natural gas consumption?

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
Yes every home that stops heating with oil & chooses an alternate fuel lessens oil consumption while increasing the consumption of the alternate. With increasing global population it's hard to imagine an overall reduction in consumption, a shift yes, a reduction not so much.

Reactions: jharkin
I hear you, I'm sure some heating oil has been replaced by gas, but the report stats are for reduction in all oil (mostly transportation), US primary energy, and to a lesser extent recently, some reductions in total electricity use.

No doubt a positive trend. I also believe there is a lot of low hanging fruit to be picked. Without a negative effect on employment GDP etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.