Interesting saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty common around here, more as lawn ornamentation than utility, these days. Often nick-named, "choppy, the widow maker."

Reactions: ScotO
My dad had one of those operational about 30 yrs ago and I remember using it. I bet it would still work if the belt hasn't rotted out and if they still have a tractor with that type of pulley on it. I remember thinking at 12yrs of age, "this thing seems dangerous as hell".

Buzz saw. Used one a few years ago to cut up a bunch of fence posts to stove size. Ran it with my old Case.

Used to be used for strapping Penelope Pureheart to so Dudley Doright could save her at the last minute when there wasn't a railroad track handy.

Oh yea those are chop saws or various other names that people call them including buck saw. They were used a lot back in the day, fast at cutting wood from what i have seen on youtube of the ones in action.

fast at cutting wood from what i have seen on youtube of the ones in action.

Imagine a 24hp chainsaw and that is about the speed you will get from one of these things.

I definitely don't want to try and use it. It looks super dangerous but it is a neat piece for some kind of decoration or something.

They can be dangerous but they also can allow you to buzz wood really fast. Hence, the proper name is a buzz saw. We used to use one until our sons grew up and left home to make their own lives and have families. We could make a big wood pile in a short time. What we did was to go into the woods and cut everything that was, say, 10" or less in diameter and we'd cut anywhere from 4' long to 16' long. We'd load all onto a hay wagon and haul it to where we wanted to stack the wood. Then we'd usually buzz everything in a day or sometimes 2 days.

In my father's and grandfather's day, farmers would commonly clear fence rows. If none to clear then they'd cut in their woodlots. Most times there would be one farmer in the area who owned a buzz saw. The farmers would gather when it come buzz time and would go from farm to farm buzzing wood. Naturally it was just like at silo filling time or wheat or oat harvest. Made lots of work for the ladies too because they had to put on some large meals. I remember them and always remember having a great time.

I also remember one farmer who passed away one July. It was right after wheat was combined. Many farmers came to bale the straw and they also cut the second cutting of hay and put it up. No charge. I remember only one barn raising. Not sure how many were involved but there were many. I was quite young so making sure everyone had drinks was probably my main chore. Seems that they had the barn complete in 2 days. In those days it was a miracle. Oh, the farmer also had no fire insurance on the barn which used to be the norm.

One of those at parents acreage when they bought it in May 1981.Very similar in design,its a very stout homemade rig from heavy gauge angle iron & other structural steel.All complete including the table & wide pulley.Its easily 70 years old I'd say.I have 2 blades that fit it - a 26 1/2" finer tooth one hanging on wall behind me & a 28" coarser one that a favorite Uncle gave me sometime in late '80's.That's on inside wall inside their garage.

And no I wont be using that rig.;)But its kinda cool having it around. Gotta few pics but netbook is not cooperating at the moment....

I remember a fellow not far from us who had one for sale. Looked to be in good condition and he even painted it. Sat in his yard for at least 2 years. Don't know what ever became of it.

There are some of these made in other countries and they have some really great ideas and have made them much safer too.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Most old ones I seen never had any blade guards,at best it was a ring covering part of upper side.New ones look quite well designed, Looks like around 3 grand for some once you factor in freight costs.One PTO powered in Vermont I believe was around 2,dont even think the European ones are exported outside their region,they even have a couple smaller electric models which did look pretty interesting.

For sure. I've used several and none of them had any hint of safety. Yet, I know of nobody who was ever hurt while running one. The worst part is the guy who is taking the wood off the saw because he has to be so close then looking away as he is throwing the wood. A conveyer would have made sense but we never used one. It was just one of those things we thought of but back then few thought about safety.

You can still buy a new one of those.seen them online.

As Dennis said, buzz saw. Used one for years putting up wood with my Grandad. Belt driven off an old case VA series tractor. Did it just like Dennis described. Cut em in long lengths, haul em out & buzz em up. I was 8-16 yrs old then, so I was the stacker. Older brother fed the wood to the sawyers, dad & grandad, younger brother fed the wood to me & I stacked it. Uncle helped stack, then we loaded up & went to Uncle's house & repeated. Great memories & learning for a young kid. Miss that work. A C

Used to get about a dozen of the blades in for reconditioning/year, but as the urban sprawl has progressed it has been less and less here, even had my own for quite awhile. Sold it to a customer for his farm further north out of the urbanizing areas. Mine was buck saw style, log in a cradle swung past 30" dia blade. Flat belt drive. Most of the newer ones I have seen are shaft drive pto units ( safer than that big long belt )

Found them.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 178
Nice pics Thistle thanks for sharing

Thistle - I have never seen one that was feed from right to left. Always left to right. (Or am I looking at that thing backwards?)

Pretty sure that one must be left to right, or else the rotation of the blade would be lifting the log. I think the carriage is just swung all the way to the rear in the photo.

Dunno - doesn't work in my mind. I think the blade in on backwards too. Notice the work table sticks off to the right of the blade, not the left like most. I have never seen one oriented that way.

Dunno - doesn't work in my mind. I think the blade in on backwards too. Notice the work table sticks off to the right of the blade, not the left like most. I have never seen one oriented that way.

Blade is definately on backward. Teeth should be facing down to press the wood down onto the table..not send it into orbit as this one will do.

Blade is definately on backward. Teeth should be facing down to press the wood down onto the table..not send it into orbit as this one will do.

Good eyes,guys. I was wondering how many would notice my little 'test' regarding the blade direction.

Found this one too.Thought there might be a couple others that include the pulley,but haven't seemed to locate them yet.Not a real clear view since my scrap iron pile is mostly around the one side.

Attachments

• scrap iron pile & old buzz saw frame.JPG
    scrap iron pile & old buzz saw frame.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 337
Status
Not open for further replies.