Interesting splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Behemoth' might be a stretch and not sure how he gets 55 tons, but it looks like a nicely done unit.
Now, if he would just put the pump displacement and tyype, and cylinder size...... the numbers that really matter. ,

I to don't think it's 55 tons. Ram size and working pressure? And what would you need 55 tons for.

I bet I could run circles around that guy for productivity with my little speeco with a log cradle. I see a lot of things wrong with that splitter, including his tonage with an old 10 horse Tecumseh.

you can get 100 tons with 10 hp, with large enough cylinder, but would be incredibily slow. He gives no info to prove thgat number, nor does the beam and structure look capable of withstanding 50 tons, 100,000 lbf is a LOT of force, bending and twisting.
Why need 50T? Bragging rights maybe? I don't want or need it. For me, speed is king. Throw the 48 inch gnarly grained crotch in the woods and move on with the rest of the firewood.

Tons is purely cylinder area times operating pressure.
bigger cylinder, more force. But he does not give cylinder size.

Speed is pump displacement (gpm) and cylinder size. Larger pump cubic inches = faster, larger cyllinder area = slower.
No pump size given, or if it is two stage.
Larger hoses will NOT increase speed, unless the system is already pressure limited and going across relief. Larger hoses do reduce pressure losses that are converted to heat.

Then, pump size times operating pressure is engine hp required.
More engine hp than required does not change either force or speed. It does however allow a larger pump, or a higher pressure before a two stage pump unloads the first stage (i.e. moves faster before unloading and slowing to second stage)
So, if other changes are made, things imrove, but just increasing engine hp won't change anything.

Still looks nice a nice collection of parts for $1000. Around here, not worth 1500, but would be a good base to start modifying

Ain't no 55 tons coming from that 4 or 5" cylinder with off the shelf, normal parts. Just ain't.
Not a bad looking build, but 1500 bean pods seems pretty stiff to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.