Q&A Interior double wall vs. exterior double wall pipe/chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a question. I just had a wood stove put in with metalbestos piping that is I believe 6 inch diameter. The stickers said it has a 6 inch clearance to the nearest combustible. My question is, when I look in the connector pipe that connects the stove to the chimney inside, I do not see "double wall" what does this mean. The pipe appears to be one layer. Is it because the air space between the walls is enclosed where it can not be seen? I am confused. The pipe "telescopes" to the elbow where there is another connector leaving the house through an insulated thimble.

what does double wall mean. I am worried because single wall pipe will not pass and I need to prove to the inspector that the clearances are 6 inches. Unfortunately when the chimney was put in, the stickers with the clearances were stuck on, were painted over with black spray paint or stove paint. I have a copy of the sticker from the guy who did the job but want to avoid any hassle. I also have the receipt with the list of parts and their price.

Answer:

You have interior close-clearance piping, which differs from the typical double wall class "a" chimney. The clearance you mentioned is the correct one for this interior pipe. There is a double wall to this pipe, but it is a much smaller double wall than the regular class A.

The inspector should be satisfied with a copy of the label or a copy of the spec sheet or installation guide on the piping. Perhaps there is also a reference at the Selkirk Metalbestos Web site http://www.selkirkusa.com
Interior double wall will also have a larger outside diameter then single wall. Typically its 7 inches O.D. You can also see where the air enters the pipe at the flue collar of the stove. It should be easy to prove that the pipe installed is double wall.

Link: Selkirk Fireplace

Status
Not open for further replies.