Interior support for a Selkirk Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacPB

Oct 16, 2008
CNY
My chimney offsets (using two 30 degree elbows) in the attic of my home. I followed the manufacturer's guideline and installed a interior re-support above the second elbow. According to specs, this is all that is needed.

For additional security/stability I would like to add more support to the 3' piece between the elbows. I do not want to attach another interior re-support to the trusses. I happen to have an extra exterior re-support that is meant to be used outside on the roof. I did not need it because it is only required when you have 5 or more feet of chimney above the roof ( I have 3').

Would I violate any code if I use this exterior re-support in my attic for additional support just below the second elbow on the 3' section of chimney? Would it add extra support? Do I really need it?

Are there any engineers or chimney experts on this forum that would kindly advise me?

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_3258.jpg
    100_3258.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_3257.jpg
    100_3257.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 326
It's actually called a Roof Brace Kit. In the image I highlighted the way it would support the chimney. Is this OK to do?

Image did not upload last post....

Attachments

• 100_3258_highlite.jpg
    100_3258_highlite.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 296
Stove and chimney top...

Attachments

• 100_3396.jpg
    100_3396.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_3235.jpg
    100_3235.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 304
Roof Brace Kit...

Attachments

• rbk.png
    rbk.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 272
I don't see any reason you can't use the roof brace kit inside your home.
While it's not deisigned to function EXACTLY like the manner you described,
it WILL & in fact, it's very similar to some of the interior offset supports I've seen.
Go for it...

That is reassuring coming from someone who's NFI Certified.

Thanks for the response. Just curious: which chimney manufacturer uses a similar setup?

I could not find a support made for the interior like this from Selkirk.

Thanks again.

With central New York winds, every time I hear the strong winds howl, I have this (maybe unfounded) fear of it collapsing. But I was mostly worried about the stability when sweeping for the first time this week.

Hey, MacPB

<>]That is reassuring coming from someone who's NFI Certified.<>

Well, thank you!

<>Thanks for the response. Just curious: which chimney manufacturer uses a similar setup?<>

Sure...Excel is one manufacturer who comes to mind...
Their offset support has a collar to contain the Class A, with a couple
of straps for truss/rafter attachment.
You're just turning the support straps to the underside, & you already have the correct supports installed...
It may be overkill, but it won't get you into any trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.