Intrepid 1302 rebuild ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kneelander

Apr 9, 2019
Northwestern California
Greetings all,

I just bought a used non-cat Intrepid for my 350 sq ft well insulated cabin at 3000 ft near the coast of Northern California. It is obviously older but *seems* in good condition. I have many years living with newer cat VC stoves and am a big fan. I have searched online, and in this forum but still have a few questions I am yet to find the answer to. I would like to find a drawing of the internals, and a sense of when it was manufactured.

There are two firebricks that need replacing in the secondary chamber, but not being familiar with the non-cat layout I want to see a parts diagram or internal photos so I get it right. Door and lid seals seem ok, but the metal-piece forming the lower part of the damper seal seems warped a bit.

Here is a pic of the data plate on the back. For those without a magnifying glass handy the serial number is 20682

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 530
Not sure, but if this is a 1982 model then it is a pre-EPA Intrepid I. Does it have refractory inside or is it all metal?

Here is the firebrick placement guide for the Intrepid I. (Click to enlarge)

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 12.09.13 PM.png

Not sure, but if this is a 1982 model then it is a pre-EPA Intrepid I. Does it have refractory inside or is it all metal?

Here is the firebrick placement guide for the Intrepid I. (Click to enlarge)

View attachment 243190
It has firebrick in the back. Your diagram looks exactly right, however the ”floating” firebrick in the diagram is flopping around at the bottom not attached to anything.

The structure called the “upper Fireback” seems a bit warped where it is supposed to seal against the damper. Sounds like I should follow the instructions in the diagram and remove the fireback, possibly replace it, and replace the firebricks as well. Am I on the right track with this plan?

Any suggestions on who to purchase quality parts from? The internet has many suppliers and I am not in a position to judge quality from my computer.

Your diagram is very helpful, thanks for posting it!

You mention 1982. I see that as the testing date, can I infer manufacturing date from that?

Any other references or link to threads that will help me with an Intrepid of this age would be appreciated. I searched some on this forum but didn’t find a lot of non-cat Intrepid information.

Again, appreciate the quick help; looks like a friendly community around here!

Great references, thanks. The woodsman parts page has a drawing that looks correct, with parts available. I will pull the upper fireback and have a look around tonight. I know I will need firebrick, and maybe a few more pieces. I'll post some pics once I have it apart.

Any other thoughts in the meantime please jump in.

I have a 1302. I have not been on the forum for a while. Do you still have questions or are you set?