Intrepid, Defiant & Vigilant mess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenMountain

Nov 5, 2017
Bozeman MT
I bought a house that's like a Vermont Castings showroom, with an Intrepid, a Vigilant and a Defiant (original non-cats), all installed by morons. I like cutting & burning wood, so I'd like to get this setup working.

The house is 2400 sq ft, so 3 stoves is overkill, but the layout is odd so it's hard to see how to eliminate one. The sleeping areas are downstairs, and the Intrepid is in the farthest corner of the farthest room. The Defiant and Vigilant are upstairs.

The Defiant works great. (The moron contribution here was that it's set in a stone hearth that probably weighs a ton or two, with no foundation beneath! I added a pier, so it's ok now.) However, the back baffle is cracked. I was planning to rebuild it ($750, because it also needs the left door kit). But I've discovered that there's a fine crack in the base plate, from the front left edge to about three or four inches in.

The Vigilant and Intrepid both had pipes straight out the back through a thimble into an uninsulated chase, with triple wall air-insulated pipe up from there. This is Montana, so that chase is sometimes very cold. (That's mistake #2; moron contribution #3 is that neither hearth is up to code for the clearances involved. They're just tile on drywall with wood framing. Lucky the stoves don't work at full output, or the house would be gone.)

For the Vigilant upstairs, that setup works - it doesn't have strong draft, but enough. It just seems like the output isn't up to what the stove is capable of.

For the Intrepid, it doesn't work at all. In cold weather, the stack runs in reverse, because it's on the lower floor and its chimney is not as tall as the other two and a skylight peak in the roof. You can get it lit, but as soon as the fire burns down, it backdrafts. I tried to remedy this by rearranging the pipe to raise it 3 feet, adding 3 feet of single wall rise inside the house. That works when the stove is burning alone. But when one of the others is going, it seems that their draft overwhelms the little Intrepid.

So, a bunch of questions:

- Does the base crack disqualify the Defiant from a rebuild? (I'm assuming it does, and was thinking of replacing it with something like a Pacific Neo 2.5.)

- Can wood stoves realistically coexist on two floors, perhaps with an external combustion air hookup for the downstairs one to alleviate the pressure difference? Or should I give up and put a pellet stove in the downstairs location?

- Is there an outside air kit for the original Intrepid, or the Vigilant? (As far as I can tell, there is not.)

- I've seen some concerns about older air-cooled triple wall. (This is White Metal co. stuff, in great shape due to disuse.) Should I worry and replace it, or is it OK if kept clean?

In a perfect world, I'd just replace all 3, but I'm guessing that would be north of $10k, so I'd like to work with what I have or can trade if at all possible. Advice much appreciated!

So the Defiant is pretty much a write off. To buy the parts and have them shipped will be close to $1000.00 I would think, so maybe consider alternatives. (I do have a good bottom for that stove if you want it but...) The other stoves sound OK but for the chimney issues?

I think that's about right regarding the Defiant. The rebuild kit with the left door and 2-piece back is about $750 before shipping. Plus lots of labor of course.

The Vigilant and Intrepid are in great shape. I think they had little use because they never worked right!

I agree the Defiant is not worth rebuilding. One thing to consider is if the other stoves are in good shape is sway one of them into the spot where the defiant was located. Unless you are heating a poorly insulated drafty home, a Defiant is usually way oversized for a typical home. You are far better off running a smaller stove at higher load then running a larger stove at idle.

I thought about moving the Vigilant to the Defiant's place. Wife thinks it would look funny (because it's shorter), but it might be OK. That's really the workhorse location, where it would be nice to have something modern that would burn cleaner. I've definitely noticed that none of these like to idle - more smoke than heat.

I think that still doesn't solve my problem downstairs, because the Vigilant won't take outside air either. I guess I could put the Intrepid where the Vigilant is upstairs, and put something new downstairs. Would the Intrepid run OK with just 10' of cold 8" pipe though?

I assume that a modern wood or pellet stove wouldn't have draft conflicts with the upstairs stoves if it had an external combustion air hookup.

As I've been noodling over this, a couple options have popped up on Craigslist:
- A Defiant 1910 in good shape, but with a crack in the top, for $400. Better rebuild starting point than mine?
- An Intrepid II for $150, which would take an outside air kit, presumably solving my downstairs problems. Needs a fireback rebuild - bargain or money pit from the VC dark days?

Not good. First because 1910 tops are no longer available last time I chacked, also that's a complicated catalytic stove and who needs that headache?

Second, is outside air gonna help? sounds like a chimney makeover is the only fix there, or maybe just insulating that chase but the stove itself is fine .

I'm not in the chimney business, btu hopefully someone who is will jumo in and confirm that aside from the Defiant, you don't have stovr ssues but chimne issues. BTW, are there 2 stoves on the same flue? Not clear to me, sorry.

I've seen the top listed in a few places, like
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/defiant-1910-top-1300632-p/1300632.htm
http://www.cozycabinstoveandfireplaceparts.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=1910
Not sure if those are for real. The cast iron version is reasonable, but the stove is blue enamel and the matching top is $545 - ouch! The blue might actually look cool with the iron top though.

It seems like a little Intrepid downstairs is going to have a hard time maintaining it's draft when a big Defiant (and if it's really cold, also a Vigilant) is upstairs trying to suck all the air out of the house. I'm not a stove expert by any means, but it seems to me that physics says the only way to solve that is to not expose the firebox of downstairs stove to the depressurized house, by connecting it to outside air instead.

BTW, are there 2 stoves on the same flue? Not clear to me, sorry.

No. If it was that scary, I'd just rip them all out and start over. The Defiant upstairs has about 10' of 8" doublewall inside and another 6 or 8' of insulated triplewall outside. The Vigilant (also upstairs) has 10 or 12 feet of air-cooled 8" triplewall, mostly in the cold chase. The Intrepid downstairs has about 3' of single wall inside and 20' of 6" air-cooled triplewall in the same chase.

I've disconnected the Intrepid because the airflow back down the pipe is stinking up the downstairs when the upstairs stoves are running in cold weather. I covered up the opening with duct tape and a plastic bag, which crinkles annoyingly when the wind blows. So, I covered the bag with a pair of underwear to stop the noise. Wife and kids are now highly amused, but I think it's temporary. :)

I bought a house that's like a Vermont Castings showroom, with an Intrepid, a Vigilant and a Defiant (original non-cats), all installed by morons. I like cutting & burning wood, so I'd like to get this setup working.

The house is 2400 sq ft, so 3 stoves is overkill, but the layout is odd so it's hard to see how to eliminate one. The sleeping areas are downstairs, and the Intrepid is in the farthest corner of the farthest room. The Defiant and Vigilant are upstairs.

The Defiant works great. (The moron contribution here was that it's set in a stone hearth that probably weighs a ton or two, with no foundation beneath! I added a pier, so it's ok now.) However, the back baffle is cracked. I was planning to rebuild it ($750, because it also needs the left door kit). But I've discovered that there's a fine crack in the base plate, from the front left edge to about three or four inches in.

The Vigilant and Intrepid both had pipes straight out the back through a thimble into an uninsulated chase, with triple wall air-insulated pipe up from there. This is Montana, so that chase is sometimes very cold. (That's mistake #2; moron contribution #3 is that neither hearth is up to code for the clearances involved. They're just tile on drywall with wood framing. Lucky the stoves don't work at full output, or the house would be gone.)

For the Vigilant upstairs, that setup works - it doesn't have strong draft, but enough. It just seems like the output isn't up to what the stove is capable of.

For the Intrepid, it doesn't work at all. In cold weather, the stack runs in reverse, because it's on the lower floor and its chimney is not as tall as the other two and a skylight peak in the roof. You can get it lit, but as soon as the fire burns down, it backdrafts. I tried to remedy this by rearranging the pipe to raise it 3 feet, adding 3 feet of single wall rise inside the house. That works when the stove is burning alone. But when one of the others is going, it seems that their draft overwhelms the little Intrepid.

So, a bunch of questions:

- Does the base crack disqualify the Defiant from a rebuild? (I'm assuming it does, and was thinking of replacing it with something like a Pacific Neo 2.5.)

- Can wood stoves realistically coexist on two floors, perhaps with an external combustion air hookup for the downstairs one to alleviate the pressure difference? Or should I give up and put a pellet stove in the downstairs location?

- Is there an outside air kit for the original Intrepid, or the Vigilant? (As far as I can tell, there is not.)

- I've seen some concerns about older air-cooled triple wall. (This is White Metal co. stuff, in great shape due to disuse.) Should I worry and replace it, or is it OK if kept clean?

In a perfect world, I'd just replace all 3, but I'm guessing that would be north of $10k, so I'd like to work with what I have or can trade if at all possible. Advice much appreciated!
I discovered the same crack in my defiant, now 7 years ago. I contacted a friend of mine who is an experienced welder. He claimed, truthfully so far, that he could fix it with a special welding material(?)
I live in RI in an uninsulated, 100 year old house, with direct exposure to ocean gales. I also use this stove for 100% of my heat. 4-7 cords per season.

Which crack, the baseplate crack or the fireback crack? If its the fireback crack, I do not see how any weld material will work. Many have tried but I have heard of few reports of a successful repair. Regarding the baseplate crack, my guess is a skilled welder with the right preheat may be able to use some special rod and buy you a season or two. Unless its factory defect it implies that this stove was most likely overheated on frequent basis or dropped. Overheating is easy to do if the fireback is cracked. The reality is used Defiants usually sell in the $500 to $1000 range and the parts to rebuild yours cost more than what the stove is worth.