Intrepid II rebuild/gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ne87565

Oct 2, 2019
maryland
Hey all - currently rebuilding my family's old VC Intrepid II stove. I put new rutland furnace cement in all the joints and am about to start reapplying all of the gasketing. I have some scraps from an old gasket kit, but it only mentions the griddle, window, and door gasketing sizes in the manual. Can anyone fill me in ask to which size gasketing I use in the remainder of the stove (behind firebacks, refractory chamber etc)? ...from what I could tell it looked like the 5/16th stuff which is also used on the doors, but I am not 100 percent sure.

One small aside - rutland recommends curing the furnace cement within 30 days. I am nearing the upper end of that. Does anyone know the significance of this timeline? Thanks as always.