Intrepid II Smoke Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NEstoveguy

Oct 4, 2020
CT
Hi All

new wood stove user here. Had an old Vermont Castings Intreipid II 1990 down basement from previous owners. Took it all apart, regasketed, sealed all seams with furnace cement and had it installed in chimney. Having an issue with smoke leaking on start up (worse) but generally always when doors are open. Most of the leaking is occurring around the top edge near the vent toggle on rear right of stove. Unsure if this is normal, or if I need to try to reseal the joints again maybe from outside?
It does not leak when doors are closed, or if it does it’s inperceptible to raking light.
It was unused for probably 10 years, was in a humid basement and moved recently to new spot.

any help much appreciated. Spent a lot of time and money on this and now am bummed. Pix of where leak is happening is below. Of note, the opposite side was also leaking and I resealed it all and that side has stopped...

Attachments

• A5452B7E-97B4-4644-9543-3ABCD40EE88A.jpeg
    A5452B7E-97B4-4644-9543-3ABCD40EE88A.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 85BFE739-A2F8-4D2F-AE03-F5D6A87113D3.jpeg
    85BFE739-A2F8-4D2F-AE03-F5D6A87113D3.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Also, when it gets up to 550-600, even with door closed, other side leaks as well... wondering if I am overloading it creating more smoke, etc.

I have a similar problem. When it was moved, I turned it over and broke all of the cement seals. I am currently in the processing of resealing it. Did you have any luck?