Invicta Ovaito

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BopTheBear

Oct 31, 2022
Scotland
Evening fellow stove friends looking for some help as I'm pretty novice when it comes to log burners

I have recently finished having a 5kw ovaito installed and I love the stove the heat off it is fantastic however I'm having some issues

I'm using seasoned hard wood and soft wood ( sub -20% moisture )
Air vent is installed in living room
Flue is 5" with 2 45s in it and 1.5 meters above ridge

However I'm having smoke spillage and some back draft of soot/ash when refueling the stove to the point my ceiling and wall beside the stove is going black I've only had the stove fully operational for 6-7 weeks now

Am I maybe refueling it too early? Should I be letting it go to just embers before reloading or is there an issue

Any help is appreciated just getting a bit stressed as I don't know if it's noob operator or is there an issue

IMG-20221030-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20221030-WA0010.jpeg

That's an interesting stove.
Seems like the stove, and the door in particular, is awfully tall and narrow. The only stove I've ever used even close to that shape was an old Sears & Roebuck Coronado enamel parlor stove, and it had the same sort of issues.
When a stove is hotter typically the stack will draw more air from the room when the door is open. Is there any type of baffle at the top of the feed opening to prevent spillage into the room?

Evening fellow stove friends looking for some help as I'm pretty novice when it comes to log burners

I have recently finished having a 5kw ovaito installed and I love the stove the heat off it is fantastic however I'm having some issues

I'm using seasoned hard wood and soft wood ( sub -20% moisture )
Air vent is installed in living room
Flue is 5" with 2 45s in it and 1.5 meters above ridge

However I'm having smoke spillage and some back draft of soot/ash when refueling the stove to the point my ceiling and wall beside the stove is going black I've only had the stove fully operational for 6-7 weeks now

Am I maybe refueling it to early? Should I be letting it go to just embers before reloading or is there an issue

Any help is appreciated just getting a bit stressed as I don't know if it's noob operator or is there an issue

View attachment 301787 View attachment 301792
What is your tempurature outside? If it's warm still the flue might not be drafting real hard yet and causing that smoke spillage when you open door. Also do you open the door real slowly or do you open it fast? Sometimes if I open my door fast I get some smoke but if I Crack the door for a few seconds first I dont.

The two 45s will slow things down a bit. How tall is the flue system overall from stovetop to chimney cap?

If the outdoor temperatures are still mild, then the draught will be weaker. Once it is below 7ºC outside there should start to be a notable improvement. In the meantime, let the load burn down more so that there are only coals. Then open the door just an inch, wait 5-10 seconds, and then slowly open it the rest of the way.

Thanks for the replies stove friends much appreciated

Yes the stove is lovely and I did expect a bit of soot and dust as it's a log burner but not to this extent lol

My flue is probably 8.5-9.0 meters tall with two 45s put in to put the flue out the back of our house and not the front

Yes I open the secondary air vent and wait 5-10 seconds then crack the door and wait but still get the pull of ash into the room

Temperature wise I'm in the Highlands of Scotland so for this time of year it is quite mild still 12-10 degrees still usually we are sub 9-8 in the morning and night

There's a baffle plate in the stove ( at the top I thought it looked quite tight and restrictive however I did think since it's a modern stove it's probably normal )

And thanks for the comments on the setup took a while to get it this far and looking good I'm really happy with the outcome