IR Gun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another factor to consider is the spot size characteristics of the meter. The meters I've used take an average of a spot whose size is proportional to the distance the meter is away from the surface being measured. The further away the larger the spot size. It will make a big difference.

Use one all the time to measure temp at a specific spot, from a specific distance from the stove. Appears to be reasonably accurate, and I do rely on it to make pellet purchase decisions, along with characteristic of the burn, amount of ash, etc.
X2...been using one in paving business for years

better to use a stove gauge hung in the air path not touching the metal.
i would think even a decent oven thermometer placed in the same manner would give more useful results than any measure of surface temp.
your metal surface temp will be much higher than your air temp.

Exactly, use an oven thermometer! The IR gun is a better use for heat transfer. That would be useful intel if you took the temp before and after using metal turbulators in your heat exhaust tubes. Then use the IR gun to measure the heat transfer of the tubes to the turbulators.

I use a thermocouple also as a previous respondent mentioned. Actually after his post I bought one on Ebay. I have it semi-permanently installed. Every time I put a bag of pellets in I turn it on just to check the temperature. Works great.

I use a thermocouple also as a previous respondent mentioned. Actually after his post I bought one on Ebay. I have it semi-permanently installed. Every time I put a bag of pellets in I turn it on just to check the temperature. Works great.
You make me proud! :)

Exactly, use an oven thermometer! The IR gun is a better use for heat transfer. That would be useful intel if you took the temp before and after using metal turbulators in your heat exhaust tubes. Then use the IR gun to measure the heat transfer of the tubes to the turbulators.
We're not really looking for heat transfer to the turbulators. They are there to create 'turbulent' flow, which breaks up the stagnant, heat-insulating layer of air next to the heat exchanger tubes.

I am going to have to check them out. The one we have at work was sent out for calibration and has been gone for a month or so. John which model did you buy? But until then, this ray gun will have to get me by. It was tested for accuracy about 6 months ago and only out by 4 degrees at 400 F. Besides, the cat would miss the laser! Played with some settings on the stove fan and ash removal. It was -40 here with a lot of wind and you could feel the cold coming through the walls, so I let the stove do what it does best. I had to put an Ove glove on to take some of the pics.- could not leave my hand there at all!!

Attachments

• 20140124_000827.jpg
    20140124_000827.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20140124_000932.jpg
    20140124_000932.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20140124_001026.jpg
    20140124_001026.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 121
  • 20140124_001441.jpg
    20140124_001441.jpg