Ironclad gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I am in the market for a new pair of gloves that will hold up to working with wood and the cold. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this brand?

Thanks
Shipper

Nothing is made to last anymore, we use leather gloves around the wood stove.
6301771.jpg

For all other outdoor wood processing and general labor we use these at $1 a pair....get the multi pack at TSC.

Sure you can always get better silver plated gloves...by why?

savageactor7 said:
Nothing is made to last anymore, we use leather gloves around the wood stove.
6301771.jpg

For all other outdoor wood processing and general labor we use these at $1 a pair....get the multi pack at TSC.

Sure you can always get better silver plated gloves...by why?
I have welding gloves for the stove since I did some welding in the mill and know how much hot they can handle.

My main thing is a glove to handle the cold and wet when working with wet wood like now when its snowing and keep my hands warm.

Shipper

Currently I am trying out some rubber coated palm gloves called polar grip from Galeton. You have to buy a dozen and they are about $5 apiece but they seem to work well. It seems that rubber seems to take the abuse of firewooding better than the leather does.

I will tear up a pair of leather gloves in no time. I have killed a set of mechanics wear gloves in less than an hour. For leather gloves I usually look for cheap. Walmart used to have some double layered Stanley leather palmed golves for cheap but I didn't spy them today. My only complaint with them was the stitching didn't hold up real well and the second layer would come off before it was worn through.

Another option is to pick up several pairs of the yellow knit gloves with the rubber fishnet stuck to the outside. They wear real well but do not have the best splinter protection. You may want to have several pairs along (they are cheap ~$2 pr) so you can trade out when they get soaked.

Just my experiances and opinions.
Don

I've been using the polyester knit gloves with the heavy rubber coating on the palms and fingers lately. $5-8 / pair at my local True Value, or I've bought something similar (but haven't tried them yet) for $1.50 / pair at Harbor Freight...

There seem to be two brands at True Value, both are grey, with grey rubber - and are labeled either Atlas Therma Fit, or Boss Therm Plus. Both seem to work about the same. I find them to be amazingly warm, and they seem to hold up very well to handling wood and other materials. Splinter resistance is pretty good, not much gets through, and what does seems to go in just enough to get your attention, but not draw blood... They are very abraision resistant, I haven't seen any real signs of wear on mine, after doing work that would have gone through a couple pairs of leather mechanics gloves.

If they get dirty, no problem throwing them in the wash with the other grubby clothes. I think they can do a machine dry, but I usually pull them out while moving stuff from washer to dryer, they air dry within a few hours no problem.

They are fine for stacking wood, or running a splitter, however they do NOT work well for swinging an axe or other such tools - they are "grabby" enough that you can't slide your hand down the handle as you swing...

I've also used them for running the snowblower - they are nearly as warm as my expensive thinsulate / gore-tex motorcycle gloves, and don't reduce the feel as much - if I notice my hands getting cold, I just need to brush the snow off them and they warm back up again...

Highly reccomended.

Gooserider

I go through leather gloves like crazy when splitting, carting and stacking. I'm ready to try synthetic material instead.

Years ago one place I worked at had literally iron clad gloves. The wear points on the gloves were riddled with heavy metal staples. They gripped like crazy and wore like umm... steel.

I bought a pair of the Atlas Fit gloves (not the Therma/warmer model, though), and I have been very pleased with them for splitting and stacking wood. I haven't worked in them enough to comment on their durability, but my first impressions are, like Gooserider's, very positive.

And, I was wearing them in my shop today for some insulation from the metal of my tools, and they still allowed sufficient dexterity to pick up screws, drill bits, and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.