Is 1" of clearance that big of a deal???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hello everyone. I finally got all my hearth done and I was attaching the stove pipe to my HT chimney and stove. The manual for my stove states I must have 15" of clearance from combustables to the back of my stove. Well, I have 14" and there is no way to snag that extra inch without messing up the connections on the pipe. The combustibles that that are closest is the plywood and studs that hold the stone veneer and behind that is about 3' of open chase on the outside of my home.

Is that 1" that big of a deal? If I count the air void in the back where the fan goes I have my 15" but can that be counted or no?

Thanks in advance and have a good day.

Check the manual - on many stoves the clearance is given from the top plate of the stove - if that is true you might have it anyway.

As to the 1", it is certainly not the straw that will break the camels back......my experience is that some inspectors would fail it and some would pass it - some don't even measure it.

The clearance, as you probably know, is to the actual combustible - which may be plywood in your case.
Note also that a slight lean in the pipe - like 3/4", will be hard for the eye to detect, so you might be able to coax a bit more.

trailblaze said:
with stone vaneer... i think you should be ok...

Hey thanks for the reply man. I was thinking I would be, especially since behind that area is a huge air void 12' high....but does that air void even matter???

Thanks again for the reply.

The air void behind isn't part of the equation...it's the clearance to the nearest combustible material, which in your case is the framing and substrate behind your stone veneer. In reality, your stone veneer probably buys you a bit of insulative value, but not a heck of a lot. If you can scoot the stove out just a bit and live with a connector pipe that's not perfectly vertical, you may just make it. Rick

I will fiddle with it and see if I can get that extra inch of clearance. Thank you for all of your guys replies, you are always very helpful! Have a great day!

Elk would be projectile vomiting for holoween if he saw this. BTW where did that guy go?

burntime said:
Elk would be projectile vomiting for holoween if he saw this. BTW where did that guy go?

He went crazy and had to leave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.