Is 2 tons to much to burn before I clean my Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all so individual. Your schedule should be outcomes based. If you get a good burn, one much like is is when you know every thing is clean. You are ok. But should you see a decline in your heat, lazy flame etc. usually that means cleaning needs to be done. My chimney is stove pipe up three feet then a horizontal out. I do the leaf blower every ton, then the blowers yearly. I clean the burn pot and exposed areas every three days. I don't climb. My stove is free standing so I can access everything easily. I actually enjoy maintaining the stove.
Personally, I don't like waiting for the stove to perform badly before I clean. You never know what the weather will be or how many other things you have waiting for you to get around to it.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Yeah, This guy:

Some members say they clean there pipe after every ton and i just said that if you burn between 3 and 4 tons a year thats alot of cleaning. I have 2 tons through mine and have not cleaned it yet but I cant get in the roof I broke my leg in November i bought a brush to clean the pipe and was asking if i should hire someone or if it could wait untill I am able to get on the roof. Then I was told to just pull the stove out and clean it from the inside.

Some members say they clean there pipe after every ton and i just said that if you burn between 3 and 4 tons a year thats alot of cleaning. I have 2 tons through mine and have not cleaned it yet but I cant get in the roof I broke my leg in November i bought a brush to clean the pipe and was asking if i should hire someone or if it could wait untill I am able to get on the roof. Then I was told to just pull the stove out and clean it from the inside.

Yup, then you'll know what shape your vent system is in regard to ash levels in it at the two ton mark using the pellets you were burning.

Lets see these days premium pellets have an ash range that is a factor of 5 by weight from produces the least ash to the most ash.

Well thanks for all the info I think its better to do it earlier than later. around the 2 ton mark is average and everyone is different i know it doesnt take long should take me around 30 - 45 minutes to brush and clean up. I was going to hire someone but will clean from the inside this time and then when i can do the leaf blower to give it a good cleaning

I have an Accentra Insert with 28 Feet of 4" Liner straight up. I have been cleaning myself the last couple of years. Never had much more than a 32oz coffee can after burning 3- 31/2 tons. I decided to do it myself after having a sweep do it for the first two seasons. Get the same results.

Quadrifire recommends cleaning the vent once every three tons of pellets.
I had a chimney sweep here to give me an estimate on replacing the chase caps on my two external chimney chases. His comment was the the vent looks clean but the screen on the cap looks clogged. I didn't even know there was a screen. So although I thought I had a clean vent I have what could be considered a hidden restriction. Routine cleaning is necessary.
That being said, as I develop familiarity with the stove and the installation, fewer things will be a surprise and perhaps Quadrafires recommendation is reasonable.

I'm at 4 tons, probably hit 6 by the end of the year. I'll take a picture of my venting when it is time to brush it.

I do examine/vacuum my 90* behind the stove every monthly cleaning, and their really is not much build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.