Is 6" clearance for double walled black pipe good for horizontal distance to combustible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
I am likely going to rear vent a stove using a double walled horizontal run of about 18 to 20 inches that would be between 6 and 7.5 inches below the one-inch trim on my mantel (and between 9 to 10.5 inches below a 4 inch trim, and 18 to 19.5 inches below the 12 inch mantel). I know clearances are minimum and it's always better to have more than the minimum, but this is what I got unless I alter the mantel. My two questions are:

1) Is the 6-inch clearance of double walled pipe applicable for a combustible that is above a horizontal run (versus clearance to a wall or something that is parallel to a vertical run)? As heat rises, I wonder if a mantel above a horizontal run would get hotter than something parallel to a vertical run.

2) Is it okay to have a combustible (wooden mantel) at just over 6 inches (again, possibly as much as 7.5), close to the rear exit of a stove where things may be hot, or is this really too close for comfort even if it is ok according to specs of the double walled pipe? I have never used double wall pipe, so I don't know how hot it gets on the outside, but I know the single wall stuff gets real hot!

Thanks for any input!

I am likely going to rear vent a stove using a double walled horizontal run of about 18 to 20 inches that would be between 6 and 7.5 inches below the one-inch trim on my mantel (and between 9 to 10.5 inches below a 4 inch trim, and 18 to 19.5 inches below the 12 inch mantel). I know clearances are minimum and it's always better to have more than the minimum, but this is what I got unless I alter the mantel. My two questions are:

1) Is the 6-inch clearance of double walled pipe applicable for a combustible that is above a horizontal run (versus clearance to a wall or something that is parallel to a vertical run)? As heat rises, I wonder if a mantel above a horizontal run would get hotter than something parallel to a vertical run.

2) Is it okay to have a combustible (wooden mantel) at just over 6 inches (again, possibly as much as 7.5), close to the rear exit of a stove where things may be hot, or is this really too close for comfort even if it is ok according to specs of the double walled pipe? I have never used double wall pipe, so I don't know how hot it gets on the outside, but I know the single wall stuff gets real hot!

Thanks for any input!
Most double wall pipe has a 9" clearance above it. There may be some that only have 6" above but i dont know. Someone may be along with that info

Reactions: KennyK
I would monitor temps at the mantel during a high burn. Double-wall pipe still radiates heat and horizontal sections more so. It could be fine, but for peace of mind I'd check it the mantel surface to verify it stays below 170º after an extended high burn.

Reactions: KennyK
I went to northlineexpress website, and it says, DVL requires a 6" clearance to walls and an 8" clearance to ceilings, including cathedral ceilings. They seem to contradict one another, their picture shows 6" clearance to ceilings

https://www.northlineexpress.com/dvl-wood-stove-pipe.html

Good catch, I missed the Selkirk listing

Does the clearance of DVL to ceiling of 8" apply when the DVL is straight up into a DVL Chimney adapter and ceiling support box? It appears that the DVL would, in this case, terminate into the adapter closer than (or right at) the 8" clearance.

Or is the 8" clearance only applicable to a horizontal run?

CLEARANCE:
6” clearance to walls
8” clearance to ceiling
Clearances are measured at a 90 degree angle to the pipe.

I understand. I was confused as to how close a double wall Duratech DVL stove pipe could come to the ceiling. I going from the woodstove to a DVL/Duratech adapter to a ceiling adapter. Ceiling adapter bottom extends approximately 3" below the plaster ceiling. My understanding is that this is acceptable and safe. Pic attached. Thanks!

20231202_192234792_iOS.jpg

Yes, the ceiling support establishes the required clearance there.

CLEARANCE:
6” clearance to walls
8” clearance to ceiling
Clearances are measured at a 90 degree angle to the pipe.
I agree with that last sentence but I seem to recall a different moderator arguing the distance is measured radially which didn’t pass the sniff test.

I agree with that last sentence but I seem to recall a different moderator arguing the distance is measured radially which didn’t pass the sniff test.
That was a quote from the catalog.

Reactions: Highbeam