Is a 16-2 too small to run for thermostat and future needs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
I've got plenty of free 16-2 wire and currious if it is good enough to run for my thermostat to my EKO and other uses. I've got several hundred feet and would run multiple runs in a half inch conduit. Is there something else I should run.

Rugar said:
I've got plenty of free 16-2 wire and currious if it is good enough to run for my thermostat to my EKO and other uses. I've got several hundred feet and would run multiple runs in a half inch conduit. Is there something else I should run.

Depends on te 'other uses'. Running an arc welder is not an option, but 16 gauge is WAY heavier than you need for thermostats. You can run thermostats (and zone valves) off of Cat5 Ethernet cable, which is something like 22 gauge.

Besides the "other needs" open question, 16-2 or even larger could be useful for very long runs of cable for a millivolt (thermocouple) thermostat, something which you are not likely to be using.

Smee said:
What do you need to run ciruclator pumps? Can you use 14 guage wire? Or does it have to be 12 guage or bigger?

14/2 should be fine as it can handle 12 amps at 120 volts, just properly protect it with a 15 amp breaker

If I wanted to run a circulator that required 1.75 amps (older B&G;) could I. Or how about a Taco 007 that requires .71 amps. I'm also guessing that 16-2 would run relay's with no problem.

Rugar said:
If I wanted to run a circulator that required 1.75 amps (older B&G;) could I. Or how about a Taco 007 that requires .71 amps. I'm also guessing that 16-2 would run relay's with no problem.

you would have no way to properly protect 16/2 from overcurrent on line voltage loads, 14 is generally the smallest wire used for line voltage applications.

16/2 could be used for low voltage loads although its a little on the heavy side for most.

Status
Not open for further replies.