Is block off plate needed if....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago fire

Oct 26, 2010
Chicago burbs
.....you are going to seal the top of the chimney? Probably going have a VC Montpelier insert and liner installed. I know it's important to stop the draft going around the insert and up the chimney somehow. My installer says they do this by sealing the top of the chimney where the liner makes its exit. Sounds good to me but thought I would ask the more knowledgable base of folks here. FYI, have an exterior brick chimney approx. 30 ft. length.

I would install the damper block-off plate. There is little to lose and a lot to gain by keeping the heat at the insert level.

That's a tall flue. Have you considered dropping down the insulated liner in size a little to 5.5" or even 5"?

Status
Not open for further replies.