Is Firebrick Repair Possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bilvihur

Feb 28, 2012
Mid-Hudson Valley
I have a 10 year old VC Resolute Acclaim which developed a vertical crack in the back right arch this season. It came apart when I was cleaning the stove. Is there a technique for repairing fire bricks, or must I spend $350 for a kit with both arches? Does anyone know of any online discount sites, or should I go around to distributors? Thanks.

Do a full assessment of parts needed. It's likely that more will need to be replaced.

I have a 10 year old VC Resolute Acclaim which developed a vertical crack in the back right arch this season. It came apart when I was cleaning the stove. Is there a technique for repairing fire bricks, or must I spend $350 for a kit with both arches? Does anyone know of any online discount sites, or should I go around to distributors? Thanks.
Iam so offended at the rediculous cost of V.C. repair parts. They're clearly trying to price people into buying new stoves. 10 years is NOT an old stove, and firebricks are a normal wear item. Keep shopping though, the arch kit last time I looked was like $195.00

The problem is that usually once things are apart it becomes apparent that there are more parts needing replacement. 10 yrs on an Acclaim is better than some. I had a friend that had one for sole heating. It had to have an expensive rebuild every 3-4 years.

"Do a full assessment of parts needed. It's likely that more will need to be replaced."

Right you were! On doing a spring cleaning I see that the entire Combustion Package needs to be replaced as well! The stove is actually 8 years old, $1700 new, it suits our needs, and I have 5 months to make the repairs, but I need a little advice.
Are there any instructions on how to replace the package (ie from front or rear)? Can anyone recommend sites that have the best prices, or must I go back to the dealer? Any advice will be appreciated.

"Do a full assessment of parts needed. It's likely that more will need to be replaced."

Right you were! On doing a spring cleaning I see that the entire Combustion Package needs to be replaced as well! The stove is actually 8 years old, $1700 new, it suits our needs, and I have 5 months to make the repairs, but I need a little advice.
Are there any instructions on how to replace the package (ie from front or rear)? Can anyone recommend sites that have the best prices, or must I go back to the dealer? Any advice will be appreciated.
My honest advice is get a different stove. But if you are intent on keeping it you will need to go through vc to get the parts. If you post pics of it inside and out i can probably tell you how to take it apart but i dont know without seeing it.

Again you should strongly consider a different stove

Is your stove the 2490? If so it sounds like you will need the rebuild kit @ ~$220 and the combustion pkg. @ ~$260 plus a gasket kit. Examine the operation and sealing of the bypass while at it. I don't disagree with bholler's suggestion, but if you want to go for it, be thorough. Hopefully you'll get another 10 yrs out of the stove with this rebuild.

Is your stove the 2490? If so it sounds like you will need the rebuild kit @ ~$220 and the combustion pkg. @ ~$260 plus a gasket kit. Examine the operation and sealing of the bypass while at it. I don't disagree with bholler's suggestion, but if you want to go for it, be thorough. Hopefully you'll get another 10 yrs out of the stove with this rebuild.
It is the 2490. The dealer wants $360 for the combustion pkg, and $250 for the arch kit, so if you have a better source, let me know. The damper/bypass is always a PITA to operate, but I think that's because of all the ash built up around it.

It is the 2490. The dealer wants $360 for the combustion pkg, and $250 for the arch kit, so if you have a better source, let me know. The damper/bypass is always a PITA to operate, but I think that's because of all the ash built up around it.
Search around on the internet for rebuild parts for resolute acclaim parts. Woodmans are good folks to deal with.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/details/9720/Resolute-Acclaim-2490/10154.html
found this but I don't know them
http://www.hechlers.com/product/acclaim-2490-rear-brick-rebuild-kit-30006595/
https://www.hechlers.com/product/1602497-acclaim-2490-combustion-package/
Inspect that damper bypass mechanism carefully, if it is still stiff after cleaning out all the ash it could be stiff due to warpage or it might just be lubrication.