is full length chimney liner needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

budster

Oct 30, 2010
northeastern MD
hello all..I'm getting ready to purchase a Hitzer coal stove, model # 50-93..it's going downstairs in the family room just in front of the fireplace..I opted for the stove instead of the insert..should I go with a full length liner??..or just enough to go up through the old damper??..my fireplace is granit stone with a metal heatalator? with the three tubes coming up to a vent..gotta cut the middle one out..chimney is two flues, one for oil furnace, other for fireplace..house was built in 58..when I moved in 4 years ago, I had chimney sweeps inspect the chimney..they installed a stainless liner in the oil furnace side, and said the fireplace side was ok as is..TIA for all advice..nice forum you guys got here..

Welcome. For best results reline the whole thing especially if the old flue is larger than the stove exhaust collar. Also be sure to use 316TI stainless liner for a coal stove, coal exhaust is highly corrosive.

Todd said:
Welcome. For best results reline the whole thing especially if the old flue is larger than the stove exhaust collar. Also be sure to use 316TI stainless liner for a coal stove, coal exhaust is highly corrosive.

Having just seen some installers reline my chimney, I can vouch for the quality of the simpson duraliner insulated rigid pipe. If I had needed to, I could have done it myself, all the parts fit together very well. It looked very well designed and made. It looked like an easier install that using flex that you need to insulate separately.

If their other products are as good, I recommend them.

CleanBurnin said:
If you go for a partial liner, you will need to remove it every time you clean the flue, as soot will fall around the outside of the liner.

Having switched from a direct connect (flue pipe goes through the smoke damper into chimney) to a fully lined chimney, it took a dreaded chore (disassembling the flue, block off plate, and moving the stove) and turned it into a straight forward simple task (pop off the clean-out cap on the tee). Also, if your chimney is exterior, you will get better draft, stove performance, and less creosote with a fully lined chimney with insulation.

GE

Status
Not open for further replies.