Is it normal for Class A chimneys to sway in the wind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nopolis

Jan 25, 2023
Texas
Hi everyone.

I recently had a wood stove installed with a 6" venting system, which some of you have already helped me with.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the contractor I used did not install an attic insulation guard, and the installation will not pass inspection until that is fixed. When I brought it up, the contractor tried to tell me the part wasn't necessary. So I don't have a good feeling and I'm not sure where it's going to go. Right now I'm keeping an eye out for any other potential problems that need to be addressed.

Today, we have 25-30 mph gusts of wind, so I decided to go have a look at the chimney. It's about 6 feet tall from my roof, has two brackets running from my roof to a small metal collar about four feet up the chimney. It's swaying in the wind, albeit slightly, but probably up to two inches at the very top.

Is this normal for a new install? Thank you.

Hi everyone.

I recently had a wood stove installed with a 6" venting system, which some of you have already helped me with.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the contractor I used did not install an attic insulation guard, and the installation will not pass inspection until that is fixed. When I brought it up, the contractor tried to tell me the part wasn't necessary. So I don't have a good feeling and I'm not sure where it's going to go. Right now I'm keeping an eye out for any other potential problems that need to be addressed.

Today, we have 25-30 mph gusts of wind, so I decided to go have a look at the chimney. It's about 6 feet tall from my roof, has two brackets running from my roof to a small metal collar about four feet up the chimney. It's swaying in the wind, albeit slightly, but probably up to two inches at the very top.

No. It is not normal

Reactions: cahaak
Hi everyone.

you should take a video.
The chimney is affixed into a ceiling support box Id image. So swaying is a sure sign that the installer half-assed the ceiling support box and didnt ensure that it was completely boxed in with wood then fastened in several areas on each side of the ceiling support box. I'll bet that is where you are getting your swaying. If however the chimney pipe wasnt twisted all the way into the socket, Id imagine that could also be the problem.

Either way, the contractor needs to get back out there and fix that.

you should take a video.
The chimney is affixed into a ceiling support box Id image. So swaying is a sure sign that the installer half-assed the ceiling support box and didnt ensure that it was completely boxed in with wood then fastened in several areas on each side of the ceiling support box. I'll bet that is where you are getting your swaying. If however the chimney pipe wasnt twisted all the way into the socket, Id imagine that could also be the problem.

Either way, the contractor needs to get back out there and fix that.
I tried to take a video, but the wind has died down a little bit and I didn't capture anything meaningful.

Unfortunately, where the chimney was connected is near the edge of my attic, which is inaccessible unless I cut OSB or plywood and lay it up there to crawl over.

It's currently covered by fiberglass insulation because of the lack of the attic insulation shield, which I asked him about and he said it's not required with double wall class A chimney. I found out later that was incorrect. When I asked about it again, basically I got the runaround. Company had 200+ reviews online. There are other problems. I am not sure what my options are going to be, but I intend to either get a proper installation up to code like I paid for, or my money back. I guess I will cross that bridge if it comes to it.

Sorry to hear your story. Its not cheap, and to get the run around? Ive been played before. Is just part of their game I guess.

Approximately how much chimney pipe is above the roof? If it is 5 ft or more, is there a roof brace?

It's about six feet, it does have a brace.
The brace, if installed properly should prevent movement. There are lock screws on the telescoping arms, perhaps they are loose?

firestopping and insulation guard are required by code in my area. Also the roof brace should be about 2/3 way up the chimney. Make sure the locking bands are installed at the seams if your chimney requires them. Also make sure the chimney is tight as some "screw" together. I found if the chimney support is torqued clockwise a bit from the chimney this keeps the screw together types tightly locked. If the firestop baffles are not installed there may be just too much play and the whole structure can wobble. The firestop baffles and insulation guard may also be called a radiation shield.

firestopping and insulation guard are required by code in my area. Also the roof brace should be about 2/3 way up the chimney. Make sure the locking bands are installed at the seams if your chimney requires them. Also make sure the chimney is tight as some "screw" together. I found if the chimney support is torqued clockwise a bit from the chimney this keeps the screw together types tightly locked. If the firestop baffles are not installed there may be just too much play and the whole structure can wobble. The firestop baffles and insulation guard may also be called a radiation shield.
Based on what I can see, it looks like my setup has a ceiling support box rather than a radiation shield. Unless I am mistaken, from looking online it looks like an either/or. Insulation guard is required by code in my area too - which I brought up to the installer after I noticed it was missing and he insisted otherwise. So after the city inspector denies my permit after inspection, I will just provide the inspection report to the installer and he can fix it or refuse, I guess.
I do intend to check the tightness of all the parts. I'll probably get up there when the inspector is taking a look at everything.

Take pictures of the attic chimney, and up on the roof including the bracing. We may spot other deficiencies.

I just had an install today and I'm not happy with it, luckily I haven't paid all of the remaining balance as they have a couple IOU's. The main one is I wasn't informed until mid install that they didn't have stainless class A in stock so they used galvanized and said when it comes in they will swap it out. Since we are on the topic of bracing, I have 5 foot of roof top pipe and was told I didn't need bracing. Pipe is on the lower side of the pitched roof and apparently 5 foot was needed to meet the roof line requirements. I asked about a brace but was told not needed. I also was told the ceiling support box is all the clearance I need, that anything can touch the box itself. Based on the hack job they did cutting a hole in my roof, I'm not comfortable with my install. Tempted to get a second opinion and look from another company

It is ok for wood to touch the chimney support box. It maintains the 2" clearance. There should be a roof brace at 5' of chimney above the roofline.

It is ok for wood to touch the chimney support box. It maintains the 2" clearance. There should be a roof brace at 5' of chimney above the roofline.
So the pipe is not above the peak of the roof. How about anything else touching the support box? Insulation, wires? I peeked in the attic after install and noticed electrical wires touching it. The box ended up being super close to a recessed light fixture (can light) hence the wiring in the area. The wire was moved as much as slack allowed, I watched that part of the install. You literally can't get to the support box from in the attic because the install is near the roof valley framing and cathedral ceiling framing. Only about a foot or more of clearance in that area. Everything had to be done from on the roof reaching through the install hole.

A wire touching the support box is ok. Touching the chimney pipe, not ok. Did they fit an attic insulation shield or is this a cathedral ceiling support box that goes to the roof?

A wire touching the support box is ok. Touching the chimney pipe, not ok. Did they fit an attic insulation shield or is this a cathedral ceiling support box that goes to the roof?
It is my understanding it is a cathedral ceiling support box that goes to the roof.

It is my understanding it is a cathedral ceiling support box that goes to the roof.
It's ok for the wire to touch the outside of the support box.