Is it ok if the Secondary Tubes with holes are glowing red?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My insert is not glowing and the inside the stove is not glowing but the tubes are glowing red. Is that good or am I burning too hot? I turned off the fan cuz the room was toasty, and the stove instantly started into the secondary burn and the tubes are red.

The flames from the air coming out the tubes heats the tubes in front of them. Ain't no thang.

I actually try to get my tubes to glow red. That tells me things are working the way they should be and I'm getting a good burn. KD

kd460 said:
I actually try to get my tubes to glow red. That tells me things are working the way they should be and I'm getting a good burn. KD

Hmmm, same insert as mine. I only like to see the glowing secondary tubes that way about once a season, no need for it, long as they are puking out fire and the top of the insert is maxed at 600 I`m happy with that. Try to run mine between 300 and 550 most of the time except when I`m sleeping.

The tubes are stainless and will glow under some conditions.

As a rule of thumb long at the exterior surfaces of the stove do not glow you should be okay. (But with some stoves there are exceptions)

Hi Sonny, hope your enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

I just turned the lights in the family room down and I got em glowing right now! I figure it keeps things clean. I noticed when I get the insert hot enough to burn the crud off the glass, the tubes are glowing as well. That is with just a pile of odd pieces of end cuts and short splits of hickory, oak, ash, and cherry.

Never seen any of the steel glow red and can't tell you what temps this is as I have no thermometer. BTW, where do you place yours? I might break down and pick one up this weekend. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.