Is it possible to clean the liner from bottom up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Make fun of me all you want, but I get dizzy on ladders and my roof is STEEP. It's a safety issue here. If I pull the elbow off, is there any reason I can't clean it from the bottom?

Plus, I have one of those big square masonry chimney tops with a huge stone on top that leaves about 8-12" from the brick to the top... looks like this:

Attachments

• Is it possible to clean the liner from bottom up?
    chim.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 253
Sure is. I take out the black pipe, get on a chair, wrap a large plastic bag around the ceiling box about 340 degrees, stick in brush, wrap bag around rod, push up, add 4' rod, repeat, etcetera, to top, then back down. A bit messy, but not too bad.

Be cautious! On the way out, if you unscrew the lowest rod without firmly holding the one above it, you will unscrew one of the joints up in the chimney and then you've just created a lot of work.

I clean mine from the bottom. I'm not worried about the height, but don't see the point of getting up on the roof if I don't need to.

Matt

pecor said:
Does the black double wall pipe, {stove} to {class-a pipe} need to be brushed ?

YES. I had more buildup there than in the 16' exterior pipe last time. I clean from the bottom, incidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.