is it possible to place a Wood Stove in this Small area so I can utilize my Water Heater and Furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ebowie

Dec 11, 2020
North Carolina
Hi,

So I was wondering if it was possible to add a wood stove onto this 31X31 plateform. I would reinforce the bottom so it doesn't crush my Furance Return. However, I want to put like a 6 inch hole for the Furnace to draw the heat from the wood stove and warm up my house. I also want to connect my water heater to the wood stove as well. if it is possible what materials would be best to protect my walls and if you have any recommedation that could assist on making this project possible.

Thanks

1607717567098.png

There might be some very small stoves designed for boats or tiny houses that *might* work in that location. I don't know of any that will also heat domestic hot water and I don't think you can actually have a furnace return that close to a woodstove anyway.

Code is a ten foot separation between the stove and a return vent. I don't remember if it actually states the reason but the consensus is to avoid CO gas from being pulled through the system.

An “alcove” installation of a woodstove may be possible there but it won’t be hooked to your furnace or water heater.