Is it possible to put a thermostat on the fan on a wood burning insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodsie8 said:
wondering if I could have the fan kick on, when the temp drops below a certain temperture.
That would be a draft inducer

Your stove should have this option already. Check the manual:

To operate fan automatically, push switch on
side of fan housing to "Auto" and second switch
to either "High" or "Low" for fan speed. The
automatic temperature sensor will engage the
blower when the unit is at temperature and will
shut off the blower once the fire has gone out
and the unit has cooled to below a useful heat
output range.

You want to fan to go on when the temps drop BELOW a certain temp? I dont understand, you want it to blow cold air?

I think hes trying to say if you reach a certian temp thats 72 in a certain room can a thermosate turn off the fan on the insert intill the temp drop below your disired temp turn it back on?

I think I misunderstood. Do you want the stove blower to come on when the room temperature drops below a certain temperature? If yes, a line voltage thermostat will do that. Lux makes one.

BeGreen, that is what I am talking about. How would I hook it up to the insert fan? Run the wires from the fan to where I want the temp in the room checked?

With a thermostat like the Lux WIN100 you just plug the fan in. This is a bit of an overkill application for this thermostat, it's a programmable unit. But it should work.

If you're handy, you could wire up a simpler line voltage thermostat to a cord with a female plug on it. Just remember to keep everything safe for line voltage operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.