Is my Chimney safe and up to code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toppnotch

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2007
Carson City, NV
I just bought this house during the summertime and it currently has a 8 inch single wall pipe that go's into a 16 inch round box in the celing and then from the shingles to the top of chimney cover is 45 inchs. inside the house the 16 inch box is about 5 1/4 inches from each wall and than the 8 inch pipe is about 11 1/4 inches from each wall. how do i find out if this setup is safe and useable? thanks!

For the roof, the chimney needs to be 2ft higher (vertical) than anything within 10ft (horizontally), and a min of 3ft up.

The single wall seems close but it can be dependant on the stove you hook up to it. You may need to change it out for 6" double wall if you get a new stove, not only to have the right size but also to meet clearances. If the chimney on the roof is too short you may just want to replace the whole thing with 6". How tall is the chimney overall, from floor to the bottom of the cap.

approx overall length from the floor to the top of the cover is 146 inches or 12 feet 2 inches. I have been reading on here about the lowes Century Hearth FW240007 it is perfectly in our price range and i think it would be allright for our 1056 sq foot home. but may go with the bigger FW300010.

After a stove is in there the chimney is going to be less than 10ft! Most stove are going to recommend or require more than that to function correctly. I would plan on replacing the entire chimney system as part of your project.

the chimney is too short code wise you probably need 2 more ft' the water marks on your inside connector pipe indicates there is probably a leak in the pipe flange/ flashing boot .

we had a similar post about an older 8" pipe yesterday one section to extend it was $300.. At that poin a kit from home depot starts making a lot of sense

Btw I along with members here installed a century 2700 Not a bad price value stove. the new owners are really pleased with it

Computer says "no".....

Situation looks screwed up!

Roof looks like it went from double wall back to single - on top of roof flashing. No No, if true!

As a result, water is saturating the insulation and you can see the result. It is possible that it can be dried out and salvaged and 6 feet or so of the exact brand of matching class A installed on top - but this should be looked at by a pro.

elkimmeg said:
we had a similar post about an older 8" pipe yesterday one section to extend it was $300.. At that poin a kit from home depot starts making a lot of sense

The kit From Home Depot your referring to what is it? Tearing out this old pipe and installing a new ceiling box with 6 inch double wall how hard would it be? im handy and my brother-in-law is carpenter but has some chimney experience, or should this be left to the pro's?

You can install these things just pull a permit, read the instructions for the stove and chimney then follow them.. Web and elk are right you need a new length of double wall pipe to add to the top of the double wall, the single wall is out. Call your building inspector over First to look at the vent you have, He will tell you if the current set up can be made safe and what he wants to see on his final inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.