Is my dealer full of it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpinin

Jul 10, 2008
hudson valley
After much debate (with my wife) and a fair amount of research I visited my local dealer and placed an order for a Quad Mt. Vernon. The dealers shop was flooded with newbies such as my self to the point you literally had to take a number and wait in line. People buying anything that burned wood. The dealer assured me he will have no problems getting the stoves he orders. My particular order will not be in until late august/early sept. He did not require a deposit ( as I am sure he will not be left holding any this year) - but after reading horrors of stove availability elsewhere I wonder if I will ever see my unit at all. I hesitate pulling the trigger on 6tons of pellets ( at a market premium) knowing i might have to store them for a year if I cannot get a stove this year. Has anybody else been shut out of ordering Quads?

I ordered a Quad 6-19 and was told 8 weeks. Also paid half, received a billing statement with full price.

i would not count on any date you have been given as of right now it seems to be more of a moving target then any of us would like your dealers may have stoves in route but if they do not i would not count on that date from any quad dealer i am out till late november best case it seems like for this week but as i said it seems to be a moving target that we cant hit. right now

I put a $300 deposit down on a Mount Vernon just before 7/4 and was told they would be in end of August. As of last week when I checked, that was still the date. Like you, I get nervous with Harmon is all backed up and yet there appears to be no issue with Quadrafire.

Quad is a pretty serious company with high production capability.....

Still, whether or not 6 tons at a premium prices is worth it - that's up in the air. If you are gonna burn them all this year and want to lock in that particular high price, go for it. But you can get less and gamble on the rest.

Quad is a pretty serious company with high production capability.....

I can't hear that enough... waiting...

I ordered my CB1200 June 12 with a $500 deposit and a promise of "early August". Since then I have been told that it should be on next week's shipment... (fingers crossed)

Ordered the insert 6/26 and was told 4-6 wks. When called to check on the order, the expected delivery time was the same but they commentted that the prices had gone up since I ordered one. Checked the Quad website and the suggested retail price on their website recently went up by $500-600!

They usually notify us with any extended lead times (more than the normal 3 weeks) and I have not seen anything. We have been installing some Quad pellet units here and there and they have not missed a date on us yet. We get every day deliveries from our Chicago warehouse, and they get weekly shipments from Quad. Only thing I got shorted on was a protector board for under a CB1200 we just did yesterday. Luckily the manual states you can make your own so we just use 1" of micore.

Our system is pretty nice and I don't know how it works for dealers that buy truckloads of stuff at a time, they probably have a greater chance for delays.

Forgot to mention we have also been installing a lot of Quad wood units as well. Just did a 5100i today, there is a 3100ST on the schedule for Monday. Our 5100i we almost didn't get in time, the last one in the warehouse was damaged, but then they got 2 more the next day so they sent it early in the morning today and we got the job done. So our warehouse is definitely still getting on time deliveries from Quad.

stoveguy13 and jtp know a LOT more than I do, since they sell Quad. My comment just relates to the fact that they (Quad) have resources, capital and the ability to perform. I would guess that such a company has some kind of a plan, as opposed to back in the old days when you had to hope the company owner would pick up the welder and make your stoves!

The stock for new england is up in the air i would not take a date better then january from most dealers and put and value in it the dealers should have a good idea as the end of next week what they will be getting and when they will be getting it unless there are stoves on a truck to them now they really cant give you a good date period. myself included other parts of the counrty may be a diffrent story but new york and new england are up in the air as of right now

Your dealer may not be full of it, but Harman might be...

Harman insisted today that the dealers know exactly what they have coming and when, that they have told them already. However, she waffled on whether the date is a firm date when she responded they were going to "do their best" to meet the dates promised to the dealers.

My dealer today insists Harman keeps putting them off and hasn't told them a date. I don't know what to think but logic tells me if the dealer had been told a date, they would be only too happy to take my deposit and get things rolling, which they haven't. I am number 11 on the list of the promised first shipment of 11 they are supposed to receive, but they haven't taken a dime from me yet, so I tend to believe the stove shop, not Harman..

My only consolation is that if I don't get the stove this season, perhaps there will be such a glut of canceled stove and pellet orders that they will be highly discounted in the spring and I'll catch a bargain... wishful thinking?

Quadrafire dealer just called to say the stove is in. We are picking up tomorrow afternoon. Whew.....

All dealers are full of it, the problem is I don think it is by choice. Three weeks ago it sounded like being a stove dealer would be great. I am not so sure today. Half of them who deal Harmans probably feel like a grief counselor today.

Hi folks newbie here. I ordered a Santa Fe freestanding on July 1st. They told me I would have it in August. I called today and told them I'm getting nervous as I have invested in pellets, pipe, permit and some other things. They told me that they were assured that all thier orders would be fulfilled by Quardrafire. "They are loading them on trucks as fast as they can make them" is what he said. He also said they are not saying the same to folks that are ordering right now. So we'll see. I hate the thought that their slapping these very pricey stoves together. I hope they are not producing a bunch of lemons. I have already been disappointed to find out it's being made in China. I had a long conversation with the dealer about how I was useing our stimulis check to help off set the cost and I wanted my money to stay in the US of A and help keep my countrymen at work. He never said a word. I wonder if these people can now be trusted. What ever happened to a man's word in this country?

bostonbaked said:
He never said a word. I wonder if these people can now be trusted. What ever happened to a man's word in this country?

It has never changed much!

We have imported stuff from the start of this republic - whether cloth from Britain, Railroad wheels from Krup (Germany), Tea from Asia and slaves from Africa.

There was never a time when you could trust a persons word.....or, in this case, lack of it. That said, you will probably find the hearth dealers are more honest than the average salespeople - mostly because many have been around for decades and have to support their customers (not here today, gone tomorrow).

Getting true "made in America" has always been tough for me...I bought a Dodge and it was made in Canada and Mexico! Much of the steel for American stoves comes from abroad...same with castings.

Sorry to say, I gave up long ago.......I get the best product I can get for my money, regardless of where it comes from. The multi-billion dollar corporation that makes Quad is, like any other, beholden to the shareholders (and quicker and larger profits), so there is no incentive for them to expand here.

Some states, like Ma, have neat programs where there is a larger tax credit or rebate for buying renewable stuff made in our state....like Everygreen Solar PV - something like that might work.

Anyway, dealers ARE full of it, but so are customers and so are WE.

BTW As I said I bought my stove on July 1st and they told me there was an increase comming in August. They charged me the increased price saying I won't be getting it till AUGUST. But my invoice clearly says July 1st. So what do you all think of this. Did they have a right to charge me in advance of an increase. I'm beginning to think these people are sleeze balls and wonder where I'll be after the sale. I'm starting to think I got a problem dealer. I have now caught them in a number of lies

My opinion is that if the stove was ordered before the price increase, you shouldn't have to pay it. Not your problem if it takes them that long to get one shipped on the slow boat from China. But...... that being said, its a "free" country, and if they charged you, and you agreed to pay.......... :)

Bottom line...... if you are uncomfortable with your dealer, i recommend you spend your money elsewhere.

bostonbaked, there is no way on this green earth that I would ever allow anyone to charge me tomorrows price today. That's just me, but if there is any possible way you can find another dealer to get you the stove you want, then I would cancel my order and go with the new dealer. I know that you are going to have to pay the increase either way, but once you tell your current dealer you are cancelling your order because he is overcharging you, he may see the light.

Also, you might consider contacting either the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney Generals Office and ask them if it is even legal for them to charge you a "future" price increase like that. I doubt it is even legal. Oh sure, he can charge you whatever he wants, but since he said you would be paying more because of the upcoming increase, he's committed to what he said.

Good Luck!

Steve

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in too. That is absolutely ridiculous that a dealer would charge you today for a future increase. When I spoke to my dealer about the Harman stove that I ordered in June and won't be in now till March, I specifically asked him to confirm that the original price would be honored, he said absolutely. If your dealer is pulling this stuff now, what's it going to be like when you need him for servicing the stove? The problem will be if you try to get your money back, I bet he'll try and keep your deposit. I'd give it a shot.

I see what your saying . But I'll tell you why I won't cancel my order.( I would be doing them a huge favor.) In fact they tried that and I said fat chance. I would lose my rights under the law and be letting them off scott free. They will then sell the stove they purchsed with my funds (A THOUSAND BUCKS FOR SIX PLUS WEEKS SO FAR) for a much higher price I'm sure. These people have entered into a binding contract. They are about to breech that contract. They are about to cost me money losses. I will more than likely have to buy oil with a winters supply of pellets sitting unused because they did not perform. Why should I start this time consuming process again on my dime ? They lied to me about facts I can't discuss here yet. I have spent extra dollars on pipe, permit, pellets, etc. They charged me a thousand dollars for a deposit and told me it was customary. They told me the reason they were charging me the higher price increse was because Quadrafire told them to do so. Even if they now produce the stove they have created bad blood, so how will I get parts or service in any timely fashion? I could go on and on. The long and the short of it as I see it is lies never hold up under questioning. I had these dopes in a corner in about half a second and I'm no lawyer. They have many transactions a day, a week, and so on. And they lie. I only need to remember one transaction and was blessed with a good memory. And my story will not be a lie . I'll give you an example of their deception. I'm in the store I explain in great detail the reason I'm buying this stove. I want to tell the people who hate us what they can do with their oil. I tell him were using our refund check to help offset the cost of the stove and were buying this brand becuse we read this as well as Harmon (I tried) are Made in America. (It was here just in the past couple of weeks) I learned that was false. HE NEVER SAID A WORD. He is a dealer and he does not know where the product he's selling is made, please ! By law he is at that point now leaving out a meterial fact, that he now knew could have made me right then and there walk, because of what I just told him . That won't bode well for them. Ma. law has chapter 93a The consumer Protection Act and I'll tell you from experience if push comes to shove lies never hold together. They just woke a bear in winter lol

I was just told the same story by my Quad dealer. I ordered a stove in June and was given an August delivery.
Now I am being told I won't see the stove until next year and if I want it I have to pay the price increase.

I also have a paid in full receipt.

Either Quadrafire is holding their dealers hostage or some dealers are trying to make a couple extra bucks.

rcredsox said:
I was just told the same story by my Quad dealer. I ordered a stove in June and was given an August delivery.
Now I am being told I won't see the stove until next year and if I want it I have to pay the price increase.

I also have a paid in full receipt.
That's horse sh!t, I'd take my business elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.