Is SS Flex 'flexible' enough to deal with the arch over my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gort

Oct 19, 2008
Can-Tuck-kee
Howdy all.

With the help of what I have learned here I’m planning to install a wood stove using my existing fireplace chimney. Best I can tell there is no liner at all so I plan to line it with 6” SS flex.

My question is – Is flex pipe flexible enough to work around the brick arch at the top of my chimney to install from the top?

Considering it seems to come coiled I would think so but I just wanted to get the thoughts of those with experience in using it.

Thanks for any insight!

chim1.jpg

chim2.jpg

I should think so, but I remember thinking when I installed mine "man, this stuff is not as flexible as I thought it would be". Just getting it unrolled and fairly straight from the shipping box was a chore. But, it looks like from your picture that you'll have enough space to put it in on an angle. Are you going to put any kind of a cap on it?

The arch is high enough that it looks like it probably can be done. Much simpler with that chimney to pull/push it up from the bottom though.

It looks high enough to do it as BB said - but you will have a harder time doing it then running it up from the bottom - I think. Regardless, I do not think this will be a 1 man operation as mine was.

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking of dropping a line from the top and pulling/pushing the liner up but I'm trying VERY hard to avoid cutting or removing the damper. The fireplace is far older than this iteration of the house, its a grand thing, 60" x 39" and still has an old swinging kettle. The damper is over 50" but only opens to about 4.5 inches.

So considering I want to retain the fireplace as is, which seems to make the most sense?

- 6" round from the top and ovalize the last few feet and hope I can deal with the arch

- just get ovalized flex and push/pull it from the bottom

- something else I am missing

pulldownclaw: Not quite sure what to do about the cap yet. There is a screen over the top of the flue and of course the arch. I was wondering if I could just seal around the liner, put the screen back and not need a cap. This may be a really dumb idea, I just don't know it yet :)

It looks like it would go. I found this weekend that the flex isn't so flexible though.
Make sure to make one of these. 3 pieces of wire with a rope, makes pulling through damper way easier.
I also found another helpful tip, the small ridges of the liner were getting cought up on the damper area i cut out.
I slid a piece of cardboard between the cut metal and the liner, slid right through no problem. Obviously make sure you remove
the cardboard when you are done.

Brad

Attachments

• DSC02695.JPG
    DSC02695.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.