Is that real?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
So my buddy and his family stopped in Sunday morning for a quick hello, hasn't been here in a year.

After a bit he asks me if the stove is real? Um, yep, it's hot, it's on fire in there, pretty real. He says, no its a gas stove, right? ==c
Nope, that's wood guy, see the mess on the floor!?
He replies, nice, looks too perfect and clean to be real.

Flames were just floating around and popping open on the secondaries, glass was clear, it was looking pretty good.

:):):):cool:

I've had that happen too . . . folks thinking the woodstove was a gas stove due to it burning so clean, no smell of smoke in the house, etc. . . . which is funny since there is a woodbox right next to it.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Happens all the time in my shop, too. Visitors remark at how "cozy" it is, walk right by the wood box, but don't "recognize" the stove because there is no view of a fire (Woodstock Classic) and there is "no smell". (ummm... yeah!)

I just googled the woodstock classic, I can't imagine having a stove with no view of a fire. I need all the input I can get to keep things running well, two thermometers, view of the fire, and if the glass is staying clean....etc...

there is no view of a fire

I see it all the time in customers homes, usually an old beast in the basement. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy a stove with no glass?

Happens all the time in my shop, too. Visitors remark at how "cozy" it is, walk right by the wood box, but don't "recognize" the stove because there is no view of a fire (Woodstock Classic) and there is "no smell". (ummm... yeah!)

Hey! Welcome back stranger . . . once in a while I think back on those incredible painted floors in your home . . . usually when I am in middle of putting down a tile floor and I think of the amount of work those must have entailed.

What I love most about the now "retired" Woodstock Classic is that it's a copy of a vintage stove found in NH (I'm a history buff). The "original" is now on view at their plant (I think!). I love the simplicity of the stove. The lines are clean and neatly defined. The real detail is in the handsome castings that bind the beautiful soapstone slabs one to another and those "frame" the figuring of the soapstone panels. I think a lot of people "miss" that subtle detail because they're so eager to watch the fire (I understand that, too!). For me (wannabe techie hard at work in my shop), I don't much care about watching "dancing flames". I want/need reliable heat and I want the stove to be beautiful but in a quiet, unassuming manner. When I have a customer visit my shop I want the focus on my proposal, not the wood stove.

But the quiet elegance of the Woodstock Soapstone Co.'s Classic always generates conversation!

(I can't even feature burying such a sophisticated stove in the bowels of a home. Nor can I imagine purchasing such a great stove and routinely over-firing it to the point of melting the baffle! "Stupid is as stupid does", I guess.)

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Status
Not open for further replies.