is the sthil 290 the same as the 029 chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi all
im looking into replaceing my saw come summer and was wondering if the sthil 290 is the exact same saw as the 029 farm boss from sthil i can get the 029 at almost half the price of the 290 , i was also wondering if this model of sthil which is "what i think i want " is a good saw for me i plan on cutting 7-10 cord of wood a year and want a quality no issues , user friendly saw

yep yep!

I have a 290 and cut a little over 6 cords this year. I had some logs that were wider than my saw. I think that if I keep doing that, I will get a bigger saw with a longer bar/chain.

I do like the saw though. It's about 8-9 years old and starts with minimal effort. With a sharp chain, it cuts very fast. It is the only saw I have ever owned, but I have run others when I was younger. S
I like my 290 a lot.

029/MS290 are nearly identical. The MS290 has the newer flippy caps. If you need a 20" bar and will regularly bury it in 20" + wood then I'd be looking at the 029/290's bigger brothers, the MS310, or 039/MS390.

O29= older version of 290. same saw, with a few minor updates. Stihl also has a 291 model that is nearly a pound lighter & 20% more fuel-efficient than the 290, & a 291C-BEQ with the added special features- "Quickstop Plus" chain brake, a tooless chain adjuster, & an"easy-to-start" system that reduces the effort needed to yank the starter cord... it (the c-beq one) is also over 1/2 pound heavier than the 290...

Status
Not open for further replies.