Is The Stone Enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KEBN

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Hello. When we bought our house 3 years ago, there was a framed porcelain tile pad under a small VT Castings wood stove. Some of the tiles were cracked and broken. This fall I had the hearth pad replaced with a 1 1/2" thick solid piece of PA blue stone. When the old tile hearth pad was removed, you could see a brown discoloration of the wood floor that it sat on. The professional wood stove people who were doing the installation of the slab of blue stone said not to worry; the slab would be fine/safe. A friend now says that I should have had an insulation board put in under the slab and just having the slab is not safe. Thoughts?
Thank you.

Sounds like pyrolysis. Which model VC stove is this? Your friend could be right. The manual has the required insulation value for the hearth. Stone doesn't usually have a high insulation value. A guestimate for 2" of bluestone would be about R=.20.

Get the required r-value from the stove's manual. You can keep the bluestone, but you will need to put something like micore underneath it. For an unlisted stove you may also be required to add an air gap. If no air gap is required, you can trim it up with a moulding and it will look fine.

Afaik, all VC stoves are listed.

Sounds like pyrolysis. Which model VC stove is this? Your friend could be right. The manual has the required insulation value for the hearth. Stone doesn't usually have a high insulation value. A guestimate for 2" of bluestone would be about R=.20.
Thank you begreen. My stove looks like the "Defiant, but is a little smaller than what is currently on the VC website. My wood box is 18" high, 24" wide and 14" deep. The legs are 7" tall.

I
Thank you begreen. My stove looks like the "Defiant, but is a little smaller than what is currently on the VC website. My wood box is 18" high, 24" wide and 14" deep. The legs are 7" tall.

VC Intrepid

Is The Stone Enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Intrepid is 21" wide. Maybe a Resolute Acclaim? To help we need the actual stove model and model number.