Is the Vogelzang Ponderosa a clone of the Englander 30NC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
I'm in that research and selection phase...

They look the same to me in pictures I can find on the net, except the door opens in opposite directions. They have almost the same firebox dimensions. I'm wondering if one is a clone of the other or if they simply share a common look.

Most reviews I can find of both are positive, although Vogelzang the company seems to have a reputation for substandard stoves. The consensus seems to be the 30NC is a better stove and is cheaper to boot.

Should I be looking at other stoves?

Competitor yes, clone no. The Drolet Austral/Myriad also competes in this market.

Almost everyone here is happy with their 30NC, I haven't heard anything good about anything Vogelzang. That said I have neither, know littler about either, and probably have no need posting here.

I have seen 2 Vogelzang's in person and they look and felt like cheap structures... I would stay away from them. But you should see them in person for yourself before deciding.

Drolet - SBI, Canadian mfg, Englander 30nc US made, Volzgang -ChiCom, Thats the long and short of it.

If you are in the market for a large steel stove, the NC30 is amazing. I have one and love it. Great price for what you get.

Iv noticed other imported stoves that seem to be englander knock offs . I guess its possible the competition reverse engineered a 30 at some point and changed the door handle to get it past the patent or trademark. IMO.

Almost everyone here is happy with their 30NC, I haven't heard anything good about anything Vogelzang. That said I have neither, know littler about either, and probably have no need posting here.

I have seen 2 Vogelzang's in person and they look and felt like cheap structures... I would stay away from them. But you should see them in person for yourself before deciding.
Back in the fall Menards had Vogelzang Defenders, a 1.2 CF EPA stove on sale. The price/specs/photos intrigued me so I went (skeptically) to look at one in person. I was impressed, really seemed to be built very much in the same way as every other stove they had there. I had been looking for a used stove, but the Defenders were the same $ or less than the old junk on CL and others. Long story short, I bought a VZ Defender, and have been pleased with it. I'm not saying that VZ is gonna start bumping any of the other Mfgrs off the higher rungs of the ladder, but they have stepped up their game.
Sounds hard to beat a 30NC for the price though...

Drolet - SBI, Canadian mfg, Englander 30nc US made, Volzgang -ChiCom, Thats the long and short of it.

Cell phones people buy and about 80 % of the stuff in our homes has china made stuff and materials in it. Stuff can be assembled in other countries but innards are most likely from china , chainsaws and splitters you name it a bunch of that stuff has china parts some where in it.

Your Dolmar chain saws are owned by the Japanese. They were bought by Makita

Your Harbor Freight Log Splitter , HF is one of the largest importers of chinese tools.

I wouldn't look for a knock-off of the Englander NC30 when you can get a real NC30. Even if the Englander is a few hundred dollars more, it would be worth the money to get a reliable quality stove.

I don't have an Englander, but everyone on here seems to like theirs and I have heard no complaints about the quality of Englander stoves. I have a Lopi stove, which appears to be similar to and Englander and was a similar price (my stove is more or less equivalent to the Englander NC13). I like my Lopi and the quality seems to be very good. No problems in three years.

If ESW copied a stove six years before it came out, they screwed up when they put a 1/4" top plate on it instead of the 3/16" on the Ponderosa. ;lol They could have saved a few bucks.

That said. With the 'Rosa you get side shields which are a hundred dollar option on the 30.

Back in the fall Menards had Vogelzang Defenders, a 1.2 CF EPA stove on sale. The price/specs/photos intrigued me so I went (skeptically) to look at one in person. I was impressed, really seemed to be built very much in the same way as every other stove they had there. I had been looking for a used stove, but the Defenders were the same $ or less than the old junk on CL and others. Long story short, I bought a VZ Defender, and have been pleased with it. I'm not saying that VZ is gonna start bumping any of the other Mfgrs off the higher rungs of the ladder, but they have stepped up their game.
Sounds hard to beat a 30NC for the price though...

I have to agree with you as I not only saw them at the store but I bought The Vogelzang Performer back 3 years ago. Its burning down in my basement right now. My new Drolet Myriad I just bought is due in to my local Menards store tomorrow. But anyone who is looking at the Vogelzang stoves they were certified by Omni test Labs who test alot of the other stoves . The stove is also UL approved for structural quality and safety. The new Ponderosa is also Tested and approved for the same stuff for the Canadian certifications.

Wanted to point out the Ponderosa is a newer design its has 6 burn tubes to better mix the air and smoke which most like is the reason for its 82% efficiency. Its also features a High burn control lever in addition to the standard primary air control on all these stoves. This high burn control allows for a 7th air mix in addition to the 6 burn tubes but the 7th location is in the back wall of the stove comes in thru a square channel in the back wall. I would say these large stoves when burning at high rates there is a need for additional air to gain some efficiency as the stove will use up all available air in the stove using the normal controls.

upload_2014-2-14_22-24-2.png

I have to agree with you as I not only saw them at the store but I bought The Vogelzang Performer back 3 years ago. Its burning down in my basement right now. My new Drolet Myriad I just bought is due in to my local Menards store tomorrow. But anyone who is looking at the Vogelzang stoves they were certified by Omni test Labs who test alot of the other stoves . The stove is also UL approved for structural quality and safety. The new Ponderosa is also Tested and approved for the same stuff for the Canadian certifications.

Wanted to point out the Ponderosa is a newer design its has 6 burn tubes to better mix the air and smoke which most like is the reason for its 82% efficiency. Its also features a High burn control lever in addition to the standard primary air control on all these stoves. This high burn control allows for a 7th air mix in addition to the 6 burn tubes but the 7th location is in the back wall of the stove comes in thru a square channel in the back wall. I would say these large stoves when burning at high rates there is a need for additional air to gain some efficiency as the stove will use up all available air in the stove using the normal controls.

View attachment 127567

I would be interested to hear someones input who has a stove with six burn tubes. My Englander with 4 burn tubes runs so hot that I had to block a part of the secondary air intake.

I wouldn't look for a knock-off of the Englander NC30 when you can get a real NC30. Even if the Englander is a few hundred dollars more, it would be worth the money to get a reliable quality stove.
I.
The englander may just be cheaper at times as many have purchased new ones for $650 and less. Lately the low end is around $800

I Have the Ponderosa, have posted a couple of times when people ask questions about the quality. I've been running it for around 5 weeks.

Is it still doing a great job at keeping you warm?

Is it still doing a great job at keeping you warm?

It is. So far I am happy with the purchase. It took some getting use to but it is doing everything I was expecting.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.