is there a way to harness the heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnian

Minister of Fire
May 28, 2008
Limerick, Maine
I was up in my garage attic (but any attic will do) today and it was like a sauna. I mean I could barely breath.

Anyway, it got me thinking...............

Is there a way to harness the summer heat in an attic to supply DHW? ~ just a thought I would throw out.

Thanks ~ Jeff

I have seen a design that will do just that. I believe they use a tank of some kind that is placed in the attic space. This would be easy to do with pex that allows the water to go through the tubing for preheat. The only thing I would want is to be sure it can drain completely before freezing temps come back.

radiantec.com(?) uses a concept design by using the radiant floor tubing to do almost the same thing though they they claim it can somewhat "cool" your house at the same time, i.e. "poor man's AC".

sinnian said:
I was up in my garage attic (but any attic will do) today and it was like a sauna. I mean I could barely breath.

Anyway, it got me thinking...............

Is there a way to harness the summer heat in an attic to supply DHW? ~ just a thought I would throw out.

Thanks ~ Jeff

Solar hot water panels on your roof would do exactly that, but they would be capturing the heat before it even got into your attic. There's an outfit called Dawn Solar (I think) that markets a metal roofing system with PEX collector tubing in metal purlins under roof surface. Nowhere near as effective as a dedicated collector, but invisible and maintenance free.

Status
Not open for further replies.