Is there a way to tell if the control board is bad on Quadrafire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I have a Quadrafire Castile pellet stove. I pinched the wires on the convection blower putting it back in. That popped the fuse. Replaced the fuse, fixed the wiring on the convection blower. The stove starts up and runs good, but will shut down when it gets pretty hot, I'm assuming since the convection blower doesn't come on it hit the high limit and shuts down.

I took the control board apart and looked at it and see nothing wrong. Is there anything else I should check?

Bob

On my Quad (years ago, I have a Hartman now) - it would feed pellets nonstop from time to time. Scared the sh@t out of me. When it happened twice, that was it - definitely needed a new control board. The old one looked fine but was definitely bad.

About the only way to tell if a pc board os bad is that sometimes the capacitors will swell (even burst), but the board can be bad even without the caps looking bad.

I’m sure Quad probably has test equipment for their stuff. But with a lot of the motors and boards available on EBay now for good prices, it’s almost easier to just swap it out versus calling a tech and paying their seri e fee plus the factory msrp for parts. Just my two cents, I’m a computer guy so working on electronics is no big deal for me. Others may disagree lol

I removed the board from the plastic housing last night. All the capacitors look good, not any burned or scorched spots on the rest of the board. Either. I'm going to jump across the #1 snap disc tonight to see if that could be bad, but it tested alright with my DVM.

Did you reset the high limit switch? If the board got shorted it may have taken out the triac for the convection blower, you can’t tell by looking and you need to remove it from the circuit to test it. So its hard to say.

Here's what I did tonight. I hooked an independent power source to the convection blower. I run the power cord through the #1 snap disc, unhooked the stove's wires that run to the #1 snap disc. Started the stove and it runs like it always has, been running for three hours. Before doing this I removed the control board and found a couple of scorch marks on it, I attached a picture. The yellow screwdriver with the black tip is pointed to the small black square(has 8 soldiered connections, four each side). You can see the small scorch marks on each end. I don't know what it's called. The pictures not very good. I'm assuming I will need to buy a new control board or see if it can be repaired.

Bob

Attachments

• Castile Board.jpg
    Castile Board.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 450
What are the numbers on the component?

I was actually inquiring about the chip on the board lol. I haven’t seen one of those smoke before. But i can look on one on the shelf and get the part number. Then i can figure out if yours is repairable.

I believe it's AQH 2223 and then 553 below. But, I'll text my wife, have it written down at home. I don't remember if it has 7 or 8 legs on it, I had already put it back in when I thought about that, can't tell in the picture.

Bob

Ok cool. It is a panasonic solid state relay. And is available from mouser. $1.80ea.

Reactions: kappel15
One wire to the conv fan always has power in it, even when stove isn't running. If no power, bad control box. And easy way to test a control box, is in another stove. kap

I tested the wires for voltage at the #1 snap disc and there was ~65 volts. I bought a control box this morning and it will be here Friday. The stove is our only source of heat or I would have tried to repair the board. I'll still get the relay and repair the board as a spare.

Ssyko,

Do you have a part number on Mouser. Electronics are my downfall, but I can get the job done if I know which parts to get.

Bob

I replaced one of those on a Heatilator board....it got smoked due to an igniter issue though and also took out the little green pico fuse.. Not too bad to replace.

They are there to protect you more than the electronics. No fuse, some types of capacitors and surface mounted ic’s have a tendancy to explode more than just stop working. Which could start a fire They also are there to save components but the smaller 1.5a radial fuse on the board itself does most of the board protection. Most current and voltage spikes happen fast! .2 micro seconds and by the time the fuse reacts the damage is done

Reactions: kappel15