Is there a window open?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
I have been so happy with my wood stove this year, for the most part. Even with our last spell of -20::C (-4::F) weather, it was pretty easy keeping the house at room temp.
For some reason though, since Thursday, it has hit -20::C (-4::F) and I am finding it hard to keep the house warm. I came home from work yesterday afternoon and the house was at 16::C (61::F) and barely got it up to 20::C (68::F) before going to bed. And, that is with the pellet stove going too.
This morning, woke up to -27::C (-17::F) outside, and down to 13::C (55::F) in the living room.
The wood stove was still going strong (kind of), lots of coals, but, just cold in the house.
Anyways, I stuffed the wood stove and cranked her up, also, turned on the pellet stove to give some assistance.
So, there is my rant for this morning. Time to go and figure out why my house is getting so cold now.
Oh, and yes, I am planning on finding some one in the area that can do a home evaluation to help me find my problems.

-27 is cold..and only 13C inside is even colder! Brrrr...is there a window left open? During the previous cold spells was it as cold in the house???

I have looked, and cannot find any open windows.
I don't recall it being this cold over the past cold spells. I know we didn't have to use the pellet stove to help out keeping it warm. Will just have to keep putting wood in the stove.
Luckily, I am on afternoon shift this week, so, the wife can look after it in the evening, and I can keep it going during the days.

Wind chill maybe? The harder she blows the more the house looses.

I find that it is easier to maintain the temps inside instead of letting it cool off and then trying to re-heat. I work 12 hr rotating shifts. A few times the GF let the fire die out too much or did not load it properly "because it was nice in here" and I come home in the morning to chilly and the oil kicking on in backup, then it takes FOREVER for the wood to catch up and re-heat the house.

Windy & cloudy days make it worse. On calm and sunny days one end of my place maintains really well just from the sun beating on it.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Nope, no wind. The flags aren't even moving in the back yard. It's actually a nice day. Up to -15::C now.
I do try to keep the house at near, or above 20::C. Some times it drops, as it did yesterday.

I don't get this. Something in your house situation has changed...if you were able to heat it before and now you can't, what the heck changed?! DId some insulation-eating man size rodent eat all your wall insulation?!

Andrew

Reactions: Cynnergy
HAHA, I'm not sure what is happening here, but, it does seem colder in here now. I can't explain, and I can't think of anything that may have changed here. I'm stumped.

Had the same thing happen here during the recent cold snap. After a couple of days I realized I'd shut the ceiling fan off - turned it back on and the heat was 'balanced' again.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.