Is there such a thing as too much draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I currently get a great draft through my chimney in my two story salt box. Even on a full cold start I can get it going no issue. Currently there is a rather crude 90° right angle elbow in the stove pipe. I have been thinking about changing it out for something like a corrugated bend or something with more radius to it. My only concern is, could this create too much draft if there even is such a thing?

The discoloration is from the previous owners using stove cement on the pipe joints, which to me seems totally unnecessary. I have no issues with soot coming out or air going into the pipe. 20181122_163757.jpg

which is a easy install but do make sure it is a good seal so cold are doesn't get in and help create creosote

I would not think the minor change from sharp 90 to radiused 90 would make such a difference as to cause excessive draft. It would seem to "improve" flue draft. It might require some attention to adjustment at air intake on the stove.
STJP