Is this a concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie_haeg

Nov 14, 2016
Kennesaw Ga
Hey guys, I was curious about these black markings above my stove pipe, it was there when the lady and I bought the house and it hasn't grown in size or anything like that.

Could it possibly just be burn off from the paint on the pipe or does it seem like possibly a leak of some sort? I'm a little concerned about burning with colder temps coming in this weekend. There isn't any discoloration on the ceiling and I haven't noticed any smoke coming from the pipe around the area. The chimney is in good shape as I'm told by our sweep.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob 7e0ea96e2bbeef914527302c8de9057d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to know its history. It could have been from a prior installation that had a sloppy fit. When in doubt it's best to have a certified professional sweep give it an inspection and evaluating while getting the chimney cleaned.

Hard to know its history. It could have been from a prior installation that had a sloppy fit. When in doubt it's best to have a certified professional sweep give it an inspection and evaluating while getting the chimney cleaned.

Thanks green, you've been a big help since I've joined the forum. Do you think I should clean it off and see if maybe it appears again? We had a certified sweep come in last winter and they didn't mention anything about it, and I didn't think to ask.

Yes, I'd clean it off and watch it. If you are not smelling any smoke at any time that is a good sign.

Reactions: robbie_haeg
Yes, I'd clean it off and watch it. If you are not smelling any smoke at any time that is a good sign.

Since I've started cleaning I've noticed a lot of movement in the pipe where it hits the chimney. I'm no where near an expert, should there be any kind of play in the pipe, or is this a sign of improper installation?

If there is significant slop and a gap, this should be filled with furnace cement or thin rope gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.