Cap covers, rain, rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
It may be a bit early to be thinking about summer and rain (although maybe not given the mild winter). But I'm curious what folks do for mitigating rain, bugs and critters from coming into the stove and pipes via their cap? Personally I was thinking of some sort of waterproof or waxed canvas material with a shock cord base (would look like a shower cap). We are up on a hill so my main concern is wind blown rain coming down my pipes and rusting things out.

All ideas welcome

It rains all year here. My chimney is stainless and has a cap, water doesn't seem to bother it. Bugs don't seem to be a problem, sometimes birds are I've had them get into my stove.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
I use an old pillow case, wrapped around the top, and its thin so it can breathe. I never had anything get into my flue in 3 years so far.

Mine all have stainless caps. No problems with birds or water. For some reason, wasps like the cap for my fireplace insert. For this reason, I clean the chimney in the spring. In the fall, I quickly stuff some crumpled up paper bags in the stove and light it with a propane torch. If I take my time putting in kindling and wood as normal, the wasps quickly investigate where the change in air pressure is coming from. Nothing like uninvited guests in the house to ruin a guy's day.

Stainless steel cap wrapped in wire mesh with 1/2'' square holes, no rain, no rust, no birds, no debris, no leafs, etc, etc..

I place a chunk of black plastic film (think garbage bag) over the opening, then twist lock the cap back over it. My cap is an open design and I don't want the little birdies to fall in. Don't forget to remove it upon first fire!

Reactions: BillBurns