Is this a decent deal on log length wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatalbie

Jan 27, 2007
I have the tree guys at my house taking down some pine. In hind sight and upon doing some reading I should have asked them to leave it. They did have a bunch of oak and maple on the log truck, about half a load I estimate 30" and down to about 8" in dia. I asked what they were doing with it and he said they sell by the log truck load. Said $400 a load and a load is about 6-7 cord all hard wood oak, maple. Obviously green but I have about 3 cord from last year that should get me through the winter. I have no idea what a cord is when it comes to log length but the stuff looks clean of debris and NO IVY.
Anyone know how much a log truck holds and if this is a decent price?

I live in MA and split cords decent wood are probably 200-250 from the guys I use.

Thanks,
Jim

fatalbie said:
I have the tree guys at my house taking down some pine. In hind sight and upon doing some reading I should have asked them to leave it. They did have a bunch of oak and maple on the log truck, about half a load I estimate 30" and down to about 8" in dia. I asked what they were doing with it and he said they sell by the log truck load. Said $400 a load and a load is about 6-7 cord all hard wood oak, maple. Obviously green but I have about 3 cord from last year that should get me through the winter. I have no idea what a cord is when it comes to log length but the stuff looks clean of debris and NO IVY.

I live in MA and split cords decent wood are probably 200-250 from the guys I use.
i here numbers for that load to be 550-700 so yes thats a good deal and easy to buck and split from that point

Thanks,
Jim

JIm, I think that is a great deal. I know my wood supplier is smaller than others, but also charges a lot less....He gets for $150-$175 green c/s and $700 for a 7 cord log length delivery.
6-7 cords for $400? I'd be all over that provided it is all hardwood. Sounds like this is your man.

Jim , That's a good deal .Around here (w. Pa.) it cost between $550-650 for that same sort of load .

hey buddy!!!!!
are you in western mass?
400 is a great price for 6-7 cd but dont wait because it could be awhile before he can get to your house so jump on it now

There is a lot of "air" in a log cord and there is a variable loss of actual cordage usually between 10 and 20%. Since you are the one doing the cutting and splitting then there should be a lower price than for wood that has been processed. This link (http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm) lists some btu's of cord wood and will help to figure the value for your area. To get green unprocessed cord wood at below $70 per cord is a good deal worth repeating especially when it is delivered.

yes it's a good deal in mass - that's what i pay for 6 cord in log length and as Iceman said jump on it now because you never know when you're going to get the next load

fatalbie said:

Thanks,
Jim

anytime wood works out less than 100 bucks a cd IN MASS its a good price....... cheap csd is usually 150 a cord green starting..
so if i can get a cord at least cut to length for 100 or less i am taking it regardless.. part of it is already done.. me personally i dont like buying log length and paying 800-1000 and i gotta do all the work for 8 cords ...i would if it was 10-12 though. but that is HERE IN MASS if i lived somewhere eles then naturally the market changes.... but as i said before buy it dont worry and get another load from him... if you have space ... ask him for 3 loads for 1000-1100 having wood is money in the bank... plus you can get ahead then resort to scrounging cause you will be so far ahead
last year i had to split almost about 6-8 cords mostly by hand in less than a month because the wood came late (lmay) and i didnt have alot for this past winter so to have a chance at burning needed to go split quick... this year 4+ cords been split since last may... with 2+ split over the winter ..so now i cqn focus on going over picking up rounds from people here and there as i wont burn it tilllate '10 early11 what a difference no pressure.... so just get as much as you can afford from him

Status
Not open for further replies.