is this a good deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scjotulman

Dec 8, 2013
Greenville, sc
I can get a load of logs like this for $200. It is mostly oak some hickory and a couple I couldn't identify. I know it is a lot of work but it should give me a good supply of wood so I can get 3 years ahead. Any idea on how many cords this is?

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: Soundchasm
Looks like about 20 pieces, 10-14 feet long, from what I see none over 20" in diameter and most at about 10". It'll probably stack up near 2 cords. If those logs are bigger then there is more. (15 pieces that run 15-24+ inches and are 14-20 feet long give me about 3 cords.)

2 cords for $200 could be a fair price. It isn't that much work, and is a lot easier than dropping and hauling yourself. If you do get a load have them laid out neatly in a row on stringers. It is very simple to then cut them up without having to pry and pull things apart.

Thanks for the info. I am new to wood burning and I am learning a lot here.I think I will end up getting a load, it may do me 2 or 3 years since I live in South Carolina. It hard to know how much I will use since this is my first season to burn.

Thanks for the info. I am new to wood burning and I am learning a lot here.I think I will end up getting a load, it may do me 2 or 3 years since I live in South Carolina. It hard to know how much I will use since this is my first season to burn.

Err on the side of too much. If cut, split, stacked, and top covered properly, it will wait for you.

Keep in mind that the oak will take longer to dry. If you get it, get it all bucked up, split and stacked as soon as possible. In your area the wood should dry a bit quicker than others in the north country but remember that you still need to get rid of most of that moisture that is in the wood. That is, unless you have been smarter than most and know a good way to burn water. I'm still working on that...

Reactions: Jon1270
I think this is an efficient step to take to get ahead. Its a quick method of adding to "the pile"
If you get this css and you get 2 cords, its a fair price for buying wood this way.
If you get less than a cord for $100.00 then it falls into being more efficient to buy green wood already processed.
Thats just my cheap opinion, your feelings may vary.

Like Dennis suggests, oak is great firewood but not a great way to start your collection if you're trying to get ready for next year. I'd recommend getting a bunch of a faster-drying species, but I don't know what that would be in SC. In PA it would probably be cherry and soft maple.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.