Is this an Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
Tree behind my house. It’s young and only about 25’ tall. Leaves are about 6” long.

F671F0FC-9967-49AA-A717-6116E823D7C4.jpeg

Or maybe it’s beech. I have some of that around. It’s hard for me to tell with younger trees.

Looks like an American Chestnut ????
1657061132193.png

Hmm interesting. I saw another one in the woods, and there were some nuts around it. I didn’t look too closely, but I’ll have to go check it out again. They could be oak, beech, or hickory nuts I saw also.

Three species of true chestnut (Castanea) commonly growing in U.S.
I'm going with American chestnut (Castanea dentata), especially if form of OP's specimen is straight and tall.
  • Leaf too large for Alleghany chinkapin (C. pumila), and it's a shrub. It's a rare curiosity in PA and problably even rarer in upstate NY.
  • Chinese chestnut (C. mollissima) more common in landscape areas. It has poor form - irregular habit/ multi-stem, grows up to 40'. Not as susceptible to chestnut blight (Endothia parasitica). Its leaves have a shinier top than American chestnut. The wet leaves from OP make it tough to tell.
  • American chestnut (C. dentata) - Larger leaf, with regular dentitions, more strongly toothed than Chinese chestnut
There are still reports of small relict populations of C. dentata with decent tree form, producing mast in upstate NY and upper tier counties of PA, albeit small trees. About the time they grow large enough and reach sexual maturity they become susceptible to ubiquitous Endothia fungal pathogen (chestnut blight) and are soon succumb.
Once a grand, massive, tall, upright spreading tree whose mast fed forests of wildlife (deer and turkey) and man, the
Endothia pathogen introduced to American forests in early 20th century decimated its chestnut populations, and reduced remaining American chestnut trees to stunted specimens often re-sprouting from the stump, and that have been relegated to a shrub/ small tree curiosity. Sad. Too bad. I would have loved to has seen US chestnut/ oak forests.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I’ll have to look closer at the bark of this tree tomorrow. It’s right behind my house.

Honestly it might be one of the stump sprouted trees back there. I had to cut down some trees when we built the house 10 years ago. Some oak and maples stump sprouted. I honestly didn’t know that was possible until I saw it here. I looked it up and sure enough it’s common.

This particular tree would have been very small when I built the house ten years ago. Now it’s almost as tall as the house

I have some acreage here that’s been in the family a long time. I try to manage the forest well, and don’t take out any mast trees unless they’re fallen or already dead. The only exceptions would be a tree that might fall on the house etc.

There’s a giant red oak tree that split in half about five years ago. Half ended up on the ground and the other half is still standing. I’ve been waiting for the other half to fall, but it hasn’t. It’s still alive and producing acorns, so I’m not going to cut it down.

Chestnut, yes.

Could be some other chestnut, but I'd say American.

I've seen quite a few American chestnut in PA and NY, but the ones I saw were always 15 years old or less.

Last edited:
So the chestnut nut has the little furry looking (I want to call it a sack for lack of a better term. Lol) casing it grows in? How old is the tree when it starts producing nuts?

How old is the tree when it starts producing nut

The American chestnut tree generally begins to produce nuts at around 8-10 years old. The chestnuts grow in clusters of spiny green husks, each containing about three nuts. They mature in late September or early October and begin to fall to the ground when they are ready to harvest.

There is also what is called Horse Chestnut- fruits are not human edible unlike American. Wildlife seem to like them though.

With the point of your phone an app called Seek identifies an amazing number of plants and trees. Coincidentally I first saw it used to Identify a giant elm in Castine Maine, from a leaf on the ground. Found out that Castine makes preserving its many Elms a priority. 300 elms were saved from being wiped out there from Dutch elm disease by the development of a vaccine by a U Maine professor.