Is this backpuffing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
I have a good draft on my chimney/stove, 25' one piece liner. Yesterday it was cool at my place so we decided to crank up the stove (VC Defiant NC). I followed the directions, got my coal bed, temps up to 600 and threw the lever for the Everburn. I heard the "rumble" that Ive seen people talk about here and then things leveled out to between 5 and 600*. I thought wow, this is going to be great! After awhile, I came into the room and my son said the stove was smoking. I stood there and looked and nothing. I could see the heat waves and asked if thats what he meant. He said no, its smoking. I watched awhile longer and a small little poof of smoke squirted out between the doors about 2/3 down from the top.

First, is this what is called backpuffing? Second, does this mean the gastket is not sealed on the doors since it squirted out of there? Its the only time Ive seen this happen since we started using the stove which was a brand new stove/install this year. Done by the store where we bought it.

Do I need to have them come back and deal with the doors?

D

Unfortunately not all installers make the final adjustments first of all where the smoke pufffed out try the dollar bill test. Then read you manual to adjust the door latch to close tighter. ( should have been done by the installer) Next after the d adjustment try the dollar bill test again.

Status
Not open for further replies.