Is this chimney salvageable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sain6815

Dec 28, 2016
Greer SC
IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG
hey everyone

I just moved into this house in December 2016. Home was built in late 70's with full 2 story masonry chimney. Previous owners put in a big buck slammer and never cleaned it. I've already began to fab my transition for the 8" stove pipe. I was planning on going with a direct connect this year and a full stainless liner next year.

Chimney is approximately 20' tall, 12x12 clay tile, and on the interior of the house.

The real estate agent straight up lied to me about the condition and told me maintenance had been performed every year.

Anyway, here are the pics. I'm planning on calling a reputable chimney sweep in the next few days. Just wanted an opinion from the community here.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is impossible to say anything other than it is really dirty from those pics. I would mot recomend a direct connect at all. It is only slightly better than a slammer

I have a company coming out in a couple weeks to inspect it. They seem very knowledgeable and detailed. They are charging 175 for the inspection with photos and a detailed report. They said cleaning would most likely be another 175. Does this seem pretty reasonable?

I have a company coming out in a couple weeks to inspect it. They seem very knowledgeable and detailed. They are charging 175 for the inspection with photos and a detailed report. They said cleaning would most likely be another 175. Does this seem pretty reasonable?
Seems about right